creators home lifestyle web
Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar


He's Not Who She Thought Dear Annie: Please help me understand why my husband of 10 years is slowly distancing himself. We used to laugh, go to the movies, go out for dinner and breakfast on Sundays, but now he doesn't want me to touch him. He has no compassion, and there's …Read more. Serial Cheater in Denial Dear Annie: I have been married to my husband for six years. A few months after the wedding, I found out he was cheating on me. I saw his cellphone while he was sleeping and noticed the messages and phone calls. He had been meeting girls from dating …Read more. Soliciting Business Contacts Gets Personal Dear Annie: A few years ago, I obtained a quote from a company for a manufacturing service. My business ended up not using them. Two months later, I received an invitation from this company to an open house. I initially thought, "How nice." However, …Read more. Put It in Writing Dear Annie: Before my father died, my husband and I promised him we would bring my mother to live with us after he was gone. Our home situation was perfect, although we needed to make a few renovations so Mom would be comfortable. Dad asked to …Read more.
more articles

Separation of Church and Church


Dear Annie: I am Protestant, and my husband was baptized in the Catholic Church, but religion was never important to him or his family. Neither of us has converted, nor will we. My husband has attended services with me, and I have attended the occasional holiday Mass with my in-laws. I respect their faith.

Here's the problem: My mother-in-law apparently thought I would convert as soon as I joined the family. This has been a huge problem for her. Because I respect her faith, I have tried to follow the rules while at Mass, and that means I do not take communion. This bothers my mother-in-law to no end. She finds it offensive.

There is likely to be a Catholic funeral that I will have to attend soon. I do not want to create a scene or cause my mother-in-law more unhappiness, but I also do not wish to offend the rest of the family or the church by deliberately ignoring the prohibition to take communion. How do I proceed? — Trying To Be Respectful

Dear Trying: We think your mother-in-law's problem is that she still wants you to convert, and acting offended because you do not take communion is how she expresses it. It might help if her priest discusses this with her directly. Please make an appointment to talk to him. But it might also be useful for your husband to make it abundantly clear to his mother that conversion is not going to happen and she needs to back off before she alienates both of you.

Dear Annie: I am responding to the letter from "L.," who asked what happens in counseling.

The only licensed individual who can prescribe medication is a psychiatrist who is an MD with a specialty in psychiatry. There has been legislation in the state of Florida to allow licensed psychologists the authority to write prescriptions, but that has not yet been passed into law.

Psychologists and psychoanalysts are the same thing, but psychoanalysts practice a very specific type of intervention.

A licensed clinical social worker can use the title "psychotherapist," as can any licensed psychologist. Any of these individuals can also call themselves counselors. If you practice counseling, but do not have a degree or license, you can call yourself a "life coach." This is an unregulated field, but many of them do the same thing as counselors. — Florida State University

Dear Florida: Several readers responded to this letter, many asking why we didn't mention their particular specialty. We wish we could have listed all of them, but there simply wasn't space. Read on for more:

From California: I am a licensed marriage and family (LMFT) therapist and have been since 1975 and was deeply disappointed that LMFTs were omitted from your list of counseling resources.

Oregon: While we have licensed clinical social workers and psychologists, we also have licensed marriage and family therapists — all of which are considered counselors/therapists/psychotherapists. Psychiatrists are medical doctors with a specialty in psychiatric medications. On the West Coast, they are not referred to as therapists, but as psychiatrists.

Illinois: Mental health nurse practitioners can also prescribe medications.

Middlebury, Vt.: As you said, counselors can be psychologists or social workers, but they can also be nurses, ministers or someone specifically trained for drug/alcohol issues, PTSD, etc. In the state of Vermont, just about anybody can hang up a shingle that denotes them to be a "therapist," but there are legal restrictions to using the term "psychologist." I think using "mental health professional" and urging people to check the references and training of the person they select is the best choice. You perform a great public service by encouraging people to seek help when they encounter life problems.

Annie's Mailbox is written by Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar, longtime editors of the Ann Landers column. Please email your questions to, or write to: Annie's Mailbox, c/o Creators Syndicate, 737 3rd Street, Hermosa Beach, CA 90254. To find out more about Annie's Mailbox and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at



0 Comments | Post Comment
Already have an account? Log in.
New Account  
Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Your Password:
Confirm Your Password:

Please allow a few minutes for your comment to be posted.

Enter the numbers to the right: comments policy
Kathy Mitchell and Marcy Sugar
Oct. `14
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
About the author About the author
Write the author Write the author
Printer friendly format Printer friendly format
Email to friend Email to friend
View by Month