Laugh, Cry or Do Something

By Zig Ziglar

February 6, 2019 3 min read

We've all used the phrase, "I didn't know whether to laugh or cry." To this, I will add there is a third option, and that is to do something about it.

According to Paul Craig Roberts, an economist formerly with the Cato Institute, the Washington, D.C., Rescue Service has an employee who is a carrier of hepatitis B, an infectious disease. The department kept him on but told him not to perform mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. He filed a discrimination lawsuit, and Federal District Judge Joyce Green ruled that "public health be damned, the worker was covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act and the D.C. government could not prevent the infected worker from giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation."

And the Justice Department gave Aurora, Illinois, a surprise Christmas present — a lawsuit. It so happens that Aurora doesn't have any police officers in wheelchairs or any firefighters with chronic back problems, so the city was slapped with a lawsuit for discriminating against the disabled.

In Jefferson City, Missouri, a 5-pound, 1,000-page bill became law without then-Gov. Carnahan's signature. Its goal: reduce state paperwork. This helps to explain why Eugene McCarthy was moved to say, "The only thing that saves us from bureaucracy is its inefficiency." A contemporaneous poll said that 58 percent of Americans felt the government was too big; the other 42 percent was the government.

This also helps explain why many politicians are unhappy because they are underpaid, underappreciated and under investigation.

Don't misunderstand. I'm opposed to discrimination, but I'm convinced common sense is more important for the common good. We need to work hard to make our laws not only fair but also practical. If we take that approach, more of us can rise to the top!

To find out more about Zig Ziglar and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at Subscribe to Zig Ziglar's free email newsletter through

Photo credit: at Pixabay

Like it? Share it!

  • 0

Classic Zig Ziglar
About Zig Ziglar
Read More | RSS | Subscribe