1. This filamentous biomaterial grows from follicles found in the dermis. What is it?
2. The average numbers of hair on the head is highest with people of this hair color. Name it.
3. True or false: Hair grows faster in cold weather.
4. By age 50, over 50 percent of men and approximately 40 percent of women will have this condition.
5. You must lose this percentage of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone. Give the percentage.
6. What are melanocytes?
7. Hair covers the whole body, with the exception of these parts. Name them.
8. Hair is primarily composed of this protein. Name the protein?
9. This condition occurs when melanin production decreases or stops.
10. What are anagen, catagen, and telogen?
4. Androgenic alopecia, or male pattern hair loss in men and female pattern (hereditary) hair loss in women.
5. 50 percent.
6. Melanocytes are cells in the skin that produce and contain the pigment melanin and determine the color of hair.
7. The soles of feet, palms of hands, mucous membranes, and lips.
9. Gray hair.
10. Anagen is the active or growing phase. Catagen is a fairly short phase of the natural hair cycle during which hairs begin to break down. Telogen is the resting phase.
Take "The Answer Man" to work or to school. Challenge your friends for "Bragging Rights."
Send your questions and answers to: The Answer Man, Dawn Seamans-Shook. ACSTAM@gmail.com