1. The CEO of this company received a reported $2.77 million in salary and bonuses in 2002. Name the company and the CEO.
2. Patients and/or their employers pay a regular amount of funds each month to insurance companies. These payments were initially created to create a pool of available cash to be used toward the medical bills of the contributors and for medical or administrative purposes. What are these payments called and what are they also used for?
3. This provision was established for patients covered by more than one insurance policy to ensure that a doctor or patient would not be paid more than the total bill for services. Name the provision.
4. According to a 2009 research study, this percent of private healthcare plans in the United States are obtained through employers. Give the percentage.
5. True or false: Employer based health care was established during World War I to negate federal wage controls, which barred employers from raising their workers' salaries.
6. This program began in 1965 under Title XVIII of the Social Security Act to provide health insurance to people age 65 and older, regardless of income or medical history. Name the program.
7. FICA is a United States employment tax used to fund Social Security and Medicare programs. What does FICA stand for?
8. For 83 years, these insurance companies, lead by one association, have been leaders in healthcare coverage. These medical programs developed separately with one plan providing coverage for hospital services and the other covering physicians' services. Can you name the companies and for bragging rights, the year each plan was started.
9. The PPACA was signed into law by President Obama on March 23, 2010. What does PPACA stand for?
10. This leader wrote: "Access to adequate medical attention is one of the 'inalienable rights' of man." Who said it? For bragging rights, name when it was written.
1. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Maryland, Bill Jews.
2. Premiums paid may also be viewed as profits to the insurance companies' management and shareholders.
3. Co-ordination of benefits, or COB provisions. 4. 90 percent.
5. False. Employer based health care was established during WWII for all the cited reasons.
7. Federal Insurance Contributions Act.
8. Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Blue Cross plans began in 1929 and provided coverage for hospital services while Blue Shield dates to 1939 and covered physicians' services.
9. Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
10.Pope Benedict XVI, Nov. 18, 2010.
Take "The Answer Man" to work or to school. Challenge your friends for "Bragging Rights."
Send your questions and answers to: The Answer Man, Dawn Seamans-Shook. ACSTAM@gmail.com