Ready, set, go! Spring into shopping action. You may want to check out what you already have in your closet, but sometimes we just want to add a little something new to our wardrobes. So forget the big purge for now, and start your list today. Here are a few items you may want to put on your fashion radar:
1) A longer skirt. The hemlines are changing this season, and the longer skirts are having a comeback moment. With uneven hems and flowing fabrics, a longer skirt -- hovering below the knee or around the ankles -- is a welcome change for spring and summer.
2) A shirtdress. These button-front dresses, often belted, are also hitting the dress rack this year. Flattering on many body types, the newest dresses pop in graphic, abstract prints.
3) The boxy blazer. A new jacket can be the best addition to a winter-weary wardrobe. Choose one of the new looser-fitting blazers this spring that can ease over other layered pieces and be worn to work or with jeans. Look for bold colors, such as orange, to give a bright boost to everything you wear.
4) Crop tops. Don't worry! You don't have to bare your middle if you don't want to. Just layer a longer camisole underneath. But the shorter tops this season provide a fitted counterpoint to the longer skirts and wider pants.
5) Wide-leg pants. One of my personal favorites, these pants in floor-grazing palazzos or calf-length culottes are a breezy way to sail into spring. With flats or sandals, they can be dressed up or down, and look best with shorter tops and fitted jackets.
6) The big top. The menswear oxford shirt has been a favorite for years, but this season it goes beyond the crisp white classic we have come to love. Check it out this spring in everything from plaids to checks to floral prints. The oversized tunics are making a splash, too. These big tops are also great swimwear cover-ups for the beach or pool.
7) Surfer shorts. Move over, Daisy Dukes! These longer board shorts are warming up wardrobes in the most unusual ways. How about a pair in pleated chiffon to wear to the office?
8) Anything with a logo. Yes, logo mania is back in full force. Designers covered the runways with clothes emblazoned with graffiti and signature prints. So don't be afraid to advertise your favorite brand. Just don't be subtle.
9) The bucket handbag. This shape is another classic that's been reinvented for modern women who stash tons of electronics and necessities into their handbags. With longer shoulder straps, these totes will provide years of stylish service.
10) Exotic accessories. From handbags dripping with fringe to flats embellished with gemstones to feather-plumed cuff bracelets, it's time to get a little more dramatic with your accessory collection. And remember -- you don't have to save these for a special occasion.
Sharon Mosley's weekly column, "In Fashion," can be found at creators.com.