10 NEW CLASSICS
The modern man's guide to a fresh spring wardrobe
By Sharon Mosley
Copley News Service
OK guys, it's time to do some spring cleaning - in your closet. If you've worn the same kind of suits for the past few years or the same old shirts, you're stuck in a style rut. It's time to get brave and go shopping. There are a lot of new items to put in your shopping bag - or have delivered to the office.
"Spring is all about the return of classic pieces that play off modern interpretations from the Americana inspiration to the vintage look of the '60s and '70s," says style expert Tom Julian, director of trends for global advertising agency McCann Erickson and fashion analyst for Oscar.com.
Julian's Top 10 list of must-haves includes some new spins on the classics:
1. A new navy blazer in cotton with a two-button closure. "The navy blazer has become the focal point of the modern man's wardrobe in silhouettes with narrow lapels and two-buttons."
2. A lightweight cardigan. "The cardigan allows men to do the layered spring story in a stylish and luxurious way especially in cotton and cashmere blends."
3. A tailored vest. "The vest began as a great wardrobe item in fall 2007," says Julian. "It now moves into spring and works well with T-shirts and jeans as well as dress shirts and dress pants."
4. A bright-colored check-pattern shirt. These shirts come in an array of fresh colors from orange to lime to hot pink. "They are very Euro-prep inspired," says Julian.
5. A narrower tie. Another accessory to update the checked shirt - a striped tie that is a little more on the narrow side. Very retro but very modern.
6. The three-button layering henley shirt. "The Henley can help balance out the T-shirt wardrobe," says Julian. "And many of the stylish men on prime-time TV like 'Brothers and Sisters' and 'Gossip Girl' have shown how to make this a fit statement."
7. Anything in dark denim. "Denim is still dark," says Julian, who adds that men can also add lightweight corduroy to their spring wardrobe and washed sporty canvas trousers for even more options.
8. Suede loafers and boots. No longer just a preppy basic, loafers and boots get dressed up in soft suedes this spring for a more modern look that goes with both tailored and casual trousers.
9. The V-neck T-shirt. Another classic that is perfect for layering and available in a wide array of colors and patterns in soft washed cottons. Go for a more fitted look, but not too tight.
10. The expedition jacket. Safari style anyone? Bring out the Indiana Jones spirit into your wardrobe with a new shirt jacket that is not too casual, but not too dressy - the perfect combination for exploring the wilds outside your door on chilly spring nights.
? Copley News Service
Visit Copley News Service at www.copleynews.com.