B.A. in Anchorage

I got a very nice e-mail from B.A. in Anchorage yesterday. Actually, it wasn't very nice. She (I think it's a she, but I don't know for sure) thinks I'm completely clueless and worse. But that's OK. She doesn't think I should be killed or strung up because I disagree with her. Reading the e-mail wasn't so scary that I had to forward it to the campus police and wonder why I bother. As far as I could tell, B.A. was actually trying to have a civil conversation with me about why she thought I was wrong.

God bless her.

It's been not even a year since this country elected Barack Obama, a man who ran not to be the black president but the president. As he stood there that night in Chicago, and again a few months later in Washington on the steps of the Capitol, he pledged not to divide the country but to heal the divisions.

What happened?

How is it that nine months into his presidency, the name calling is so out of hand that it is a relief to get an e-mail you don't have to delete because it's full of hateful obscenities? And I'm just a little fish in this fight. I talk to people who are bigger players — elected officials and political leaders, talking heads with their own shows and more newspapers running them than I'll ever have — and we whisper about how scary it is "out there." But it's not "out there." It's right here, on your computer, on your radio, on your TV, everywhere you look.

Of course, as B.A. reminded me, Nancy Pelosi et al. did not exactly treat the presidency with respect when George W. Bush held the job. Neither did many liberal commentators, which is one reason they have their own shows and websites and beach houses.

I can say, with all honesty, that I never preached hate, but so what and who cares? Lots of others did, maybe not heckling from the back of Congress in a joint session (sorry, B.A., but I do think that's different), but certainly in other places.

The problem is that there's no end to this game of tit-for-tat. You destroy Obama because we destroyed Bush. We destroyed Bush because of what you did to Clinton. Hard economic times only make it easier. It's not difficult to fire up people when they are frightened and insecure, which so many of us are, with reason. Who doesn't feel like yelling and screaming when you see your pension disappear or you can't make your house payments and you don't even know how to explain to your kids that you don't have the money to buy them what they want or need?

Two wrongs don't make a right. "He started it" is not an excuse. Isn't this what we all teach our children? Why doesn't it also apply to us? Eight years of wrongs do not justify eight more, and then eight more after that.

Health care reform is important. But civility and decency are even more important. Our democracy cannot survive without them. Sticks and stones are not the only things that hurt. Names hurt, too. We will end up not just hating our presidents, but hating each other.

So I wrote back to B.A., and she wrote back to me. "May God help us all find our way back to civil discourse," she said in closing. Amen.

This weekend marks the beginning of the Jewish New Year. To all of those who are celebrating, Shanah Tovah — a happy and healthy New Year, and one in which we find our way back together.

COPYRIGHT 2009 CREATORS.COM

Comments

NO NO NO, you didn't care about being civil when your side was doing the pummeling, now that the shoe is on the other foot we have to "all get along ". Screw that I hope the left is buried under it's B.S. forever.
Posted by: Larry
Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:52 AM
"Bush/Cheney are war criminals!" Average Liberal
"The war in Iraq is lost" Harry Ried
"Our soldiers are murderers" John Murtha
"The Tea Party protesters are wearing swastikas" Nancy Pelosi
These are quotes, to the best of my recollection, from the LEADERS of the left. All of which are much more harmful and disrespectful than any until-recently unknown R-congressman yelling "You Lie" to the President.
And even today, the LEADERS of the left continue their assault on anyone who vehemently opposes our President's policy by calling it racially motivated? Angry Mobs? Astroturf?
It's very dismissive and condescending at the very least, and brings anger out of our passion to oppose this President's view of the America he wants to create.
Posted by: Dan
Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:39 AM
The liberal leaders in this country for the last 8 years have done noting but give aid and comfort to the enemies of this country. What else can a terrorist think when he hears from leaders in this country that our president is like Hitler and our troops are murdering people other than "we are winning against them...fight on". The endless media barrage on Bush and company was relentless. The problem because a matter of nobody wanted to hear it anymore. Bush fatigue. The bigger problem has become that those elected because of "Bush fatigue" seem to think it is an endorsement of their policies. They would be wrong. People were looking for change...they weren't looking for their way of life and the country to be turned upside down and shaken. Now these "leaders" want to call the American people a mob, Tim McViegh wannabes, racists and a lot more. Get a clue Libs....if you went to your boss and just lambasted him with names like that....how long do you think you would keep your job?
Same thing here. You are going to be fired and if you vote for this healthcare BS the left will not be in power again for at least 60 years.
Posted by: Adam
Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:38 AM
Name calling is out of hand? Sticks and stones? For eight long years the libs called George Bush stupid, liar, dumb, draft dodger, illiterate, and many more awful names. We had to swallow it. Now the shoe is on the other foot. And Susan, you know this is true. Nobody went after Clinton until he took his sex pleasure right in the oval office and then lied to a grand jury. But to put Bush through the wringer for eight long years, because of what happened to Clinton (who brought it on himself) is a lame reason. The terrorists killed nearly 4,000 of our people and the president wanted to find them and bring them to justice. But he couldn't do this because the congress was against him, the press was against him, and all liberals were against him. As Adam has stated above, the liberals have given aid and comfort to the enemies of this country. Is it any wonder people are up in arms?
Posted by: vonnie bates
Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:19 AM
Susan, it seems I am not the only conservative that enjoys your take on the politics of the country. The 8 years of Bush/Cheney bashing had consequences that cannot be brushed aside nor forgotten. Now we (conservatives) are asked to "get along" and be nice to president Obama while the continued demonizing of Bush/Cheney is still considered free game.
Posted by: Julian Franco
Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:22 AM
Susan writes ----------------------------- As he stood there that night in Chicago, and again a few months later in Washington on the steps of the Capitol, he pledged not to divide the country but to heal the divisions. ----------------------- What happened? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I will tell you what happened. The miss-guided voters whom elected Obama listened to his words and ignored the warring signs that his actions triggered. As a result, a socialist racist thug that hates America was voted into office. That is what happened. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- What happened is that Obama is giving us a look at his soul and the picture is not a pretty one. We see a soul filled with hate and an undeserved arrogance that allows him to believe he is correct in what he does, without question. And anyone who does must be a racists. Indeed, the level of Obama's arrogance is only matched by the level of his ignorance about what made this country strong and what will keep it strong. Basically, Obama is a typical hate filled anti-American Liberal and the more voters pay attention to Obama's actions and ignore his words, the lower his pole numbers drop. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In an attempt to stop the hemorrhaging, Liberal hypocrites have pulled out the weapon that has always worked so well in the past, the Race bating card. The problem is, such weapon is not working this time, is it. Such is why now, all of the sudden, we need to tone down the rhetoric. Why, because the hated based Liberal rhetoric is not working this time. I suspect Liberal polling is supporting my theory and such is the reason for "cease fire" talk. When one is losing a war a good strategy is to call a cease fire. Liberals are losing their attempt to paint everyone opposing Obama as a racists because such is simply ridiculous. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I am not sure what has darkened Obama's heart so, but I suspect, ironically, such was caused by the very Liberals to which he clings. Obama seems to have lived a life of privilege, indeed, he is the president of the USA, and yet his soul is dark with hate. He surrounds himself, indeed forms alliances, with hate filled racists like Jeremiah Write, Van Jones, Bill Ayers, and Henry Gates. And Obama's story is all too common among blacks in America. I am sure Obama was not born to be such a person and he has to be the result of his environment. It makes me sad that such an environment exists in this country. An environment created by Liberals and those in the race industry that have a vested interested in seeing blacks continue to hate whites and blame all their failures in life on white racists. Liberals who pull the race card when they are in political trouble. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I for one do my best everyday to be the type of person that does not contribute to such Liberal environment. I am proud to live in a country where any color person, particularly a black man, can become president. That said, I was not proud the day Obama was elected, not because he is black, but because of what I could see in his soul. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Obama, on the outside chance you should read this, please know I do not dislike you because you are black. I dislike you because of your actions and your beliefs. That said, I will be praying that your creator takes the hate from your heart and allows you to live the remainder of your life in peace and harmony with your fellow man. And I would be proud that one day your soul is healed to the point I could call you friend.
Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:28 AM
Susan I hope that you and the emailer can make friends at least. However, from reading the comments from the other posters I had to agree with what they have stated. Respect and Civility is a Two Way Street. The Libs blew it by all their remarks and strictly for political gain which they have won for the short time - 2008 - 2010. I personally think that we will see such a blow out of Democrats in Congress and the Senate that Obama will not get anything passed for his last two years.

President Obama stated he wanted to change America - well he certainly has and it is not a pretty picture.
Posted by: Gene44
Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:22 AM
Susan,
I am one those conservatives who look for intelligent people like you to read, so I can try to understand those who disagree with me. I have no hatred for you, and I enjoy your TV appearances.
So please understand something:
People like me ARE NOT trying to destroy Obama because liberals tried to destroy Bush (and it's more than a little insulting for you to say this).
Furthermore, people like me are not even trying to destroy Obama.
HIS IDEAS and POLICIES are what we are trying to destroy because we don't believe they are overall good for the country.
Your wrote elequently about Senator Kennedy, so consider this: Obama would have been "blessed" if, like Kennedy, he had not become president for the same reasons that Kennedy was "blessed." Obama could have been a Tiger in the Senate. (I don't say Lion because Kennedy was the lion) Obama's oratory talents could have been used to attack and destroy conservative ideas, and he very likely would have been effective and treasured in the Senate.
But he is NOT an executive or a leader. He has trouble making difficult decisions and waivers after he does make them. He relies on his good looks and speech-making skills to convince people, but he doesn't marshall good arguments. He attacks his opponents in unseemly ways ("racists") and, worst of all the fawning of the media, is now something he personally cannot live without. They will turn on him... it always happens. And when the wicked tongue of Maureen Dowd targets Obama, I don't think he is going to be able to brush it off or handle it well.

Posted by: sandy
Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:49 AM
I agree with the many who say, we turn to Susan hear the other side. She is fair and tells it like it is. Susan, I am sorry to see someone like the idiot, Jimmy Carter, try to instill Race into the current state of affairs.

I don't dislike Obama because he is black, I dislike his policies taking us to socialism. We did ask for that. I only hope we can take back both houses and make his final two years worthless and where he cannot get any policy changed and we reverse all the changes he accomplishes. He needs to hear the majority. We do not want our health insurance to be in the hands of government. Start with TORT reform and let insurance companies cross state lines, that would be a start. Thanks Susan
Posted by: marc scheel
Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:50 PM
Correction to my earlier comment. We did NOT ask for Socialism. Forgive me. Thank you.
Posted by: marc scheel
Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:52 PM
I am a conservative. But I must say that I admire and respect you. I don't always agree with what you say but when I read it you don't elevate my blood pressure. You are fair and reasonable.
I haven't been to your website before but wow---3 conservative and 3 liberal articles!!
Keep up the good work.
Posted by: Bob
Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:01 AM
Oh Susan are you trying to say the liberals treated Bush with disrespect because of the way "I did not have sex with that lady" Clinton. Another new low. The reason the people feel the way they do is because of the action and policies of this adminstration and the way they are bulldozing us down with their agenda. The news media making racist comment (trying to scare us) and Nancy Pelosi (SHAME ON HER) will have blood on her hands if anything happens with violence. I am 54 yrs old and never have I seen anything like this in my life. I was a democrat but now an independent because of the behavior of the party. I did home care in the inner city of NJ and I had many of color patients and we all agreed the news media and democrats were making racism worse then it really is. I loved my patients and they loved me not because of our race but who we were as a person. When the democrats lose a battle they throw the race card but this time it will not work. Obama governs with the mafiso style Chicago politics. You do not agree with me I break your face. Having the unions around him and owing the Green organizations (union) a pay back will restrain him (but he is who is around him).
Posted by: Kathaleen
Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 AM
Well, last week I was called a racist by former President, Jimmy Carter. Today I open the paper and find out, because I disagree with the President's agenda, that I am without respect, dignity, integrity, and honor. All this from reporter that I have never met. I pray for President Obama everyday, but I also pray for his agenda to fail. I do this because I am not brain dead, and can read the bills that are introduced by his administration. I disagree with his direction for the country because I love my country and my family. I don't want my children and grandchildren to be paying for this plan the rest of their lives. Maybe if you really want to do some investigative reporting, you will find out why Oxidential College gave scholarship reserved for foreign students to Mr. Obama. And maybe why he has only produced an " Announcement of Birth Certificate" I could not even get my kid into little league with that document. Perhaps you could tell us why his grandmother remembers waiting in the waiting room in Kenya for his birth, or why they have made a tourist attraction of that room in Kenya. That should keep you busy for a little while.
Posted by: Kent Wolford
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:11 AM
Dear Susan:

First, may you and your family have a sweet year. Now, I am an Independent, left of center moderate. My problem is with the politicians presently in power. There are very few, if any, who are honest and trustworthy. They have lost my TRUST. For example, Eric Holder and the CIA. What this man is doing is just for political gain. It is counter-productive and deistructive to our national security. In the past two days, President Obama has destroyed Eastern Europe's trust and (worse) faith in our promises. If i is true that General Electric will profit from this decision to pull the anti-missile defense from Eastern Europe, this proves to me that "What is good for General Electric is good for the USA". In my culture, this is called a SHUNDA, a sin. Presidnet Obama's administration is not transparent. He changes his mind at the slightest hint of disagreement. What does he believe in?

Susan, I wish we had in elective office people with your honesty. We might disagree, but at lest we know that what you say is what you believe in.

Sincerely,

Alex slabo
Posted by: Alex Slabo
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:33 AM
Susan, Its always good to hear what the left hand is thinking, thank you. But your accusation that we have lost civil discourse is insulting. Its hard to NOT get angry. We have been called "neocons", "torturers", "party of no", "misinformeed", "astroturf", "potential terrorists", and now "racists". Our only crime is to express our views that the policies promoted by this administration do not serve our country well and may, in fact, work against our general welfare. Joe Wilsons outburst, rude as it was, expressed what many of us are thinking. When our president comes on TV and makes claims that arent logically consistent and then presents obvious half truths we all think what Joe Wilson said. We arent getting leadership from this administration and you know it. And now, because we speak out, we are being told we are racists. Again, a logically inconsistent statement, need I cry "you lie" from the back of the floor to get Jimmy Carter to hear? It is logically inconsistent that the America that elected Obama with a 55% majority, that has made Oprah Winfrey one of the most loved women, that revers Bill Cosby, and the conservatives who elected a black man as their party leader, could now somehow disagree because of race. It seems the left has found new life for name calling, then claim a desire for civil discourse. To that I say: "You lie".
Posted by: Machineguy
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:45 AM
Dear Susan,

This will be a civil answer to your column carried by Rasmussen on September 19th, 2009.

First and most importantly, despite the fact that I am conservative and presumably "heartless," your recent column about your mother was very touching. I am sorry for your loss.

As for B.A., I'm not sure what she wrotye you, but you have asked why we are so uncivil to one another. In my opinion, all of this started with the "Borkiing" of a nominee for the Supreme Court. I lay this at the feet of Ted Kennedy, who didn't exactly handle his constitutional responsibility with decency or aplomb. It's only gotten worse since, and I see nothing on the horizon that will turn back the hands of time.

Perhaps more importantly, at least today, society has finally reached the tipping point, where more people receive beneftis from our federal government than who actually work hard and pay the taxes. If you do not consider this in your analyusis of what is wrong in our public discourse, you've overlooked the most important element of the problem.

The amount of resentment by those who actually shoulder the cost of Great Society programs run amuck (Medicare and Medicaid), and even that creeated by FDR Social Security), is overlooked by the left. They don't understand it, but it is palpable. Now, the current administration expects producers to swallow hard and pay for a new health care benefit when 80% of our society is happy with their existing arrangements, a massive boondoggle that sidesteps the real ways we can conotrol costs, namely reducing defensive medicine by some sort of tort reform, allowing interstate insurance competition by the 1300 companies already in the business, and equalizing the tax deductibility of medical insurance between businesses and individuals, thus making the entire medical care apparatus more market sensitive.

For the left, "progressive" means redistributing not only wealth, but substantive effort. Small businessmen that work 80 hours a week are expected to not only grow their busiesses and create jobs, but fund the nanny state.

What's next? College educations for everyone? At the cost of a few people in society? For goodness sake, the top 5% of taxpayers contriute more federal revenue than the entire rest of society. And soon, the great middle of the middle class, will be on the hook for an ever increasing number of programs large and small. And, that doesn't even include studies of the genome of fish, studies on why pigs stink, and mouse habitats in Ms. Pelosi's home district.

Politicians buy votes with the money of their constituents. And, you wonder why there is so much cynicism today? Society is out of balance because so many people have no skin in the game, no cost to offset their wants. I think Jefferson was the first to note that the risks to democracy were simple enough. When a sufficient number of voters realized they could tax someone else for whatever "goodies" they wanted, the entire structure would crumble.

We're already there. Just look at the present budget. It makes me sick to think that my children will be expected to pay forever for the excesses of one man, one lopsided government, and the people who protest this travesty are called "uAmerican," "evil mongers," "terrorists," and worse.

I'm sorry. I'm not in a good mood today. I see my children's futures dying in a paroxysm of tax and spend, tax and spend.

But, I have been civil. And you, I hope, have at least been somewhat enlightened by a member of traditional America.

Michael A Sofia

PS: Please forgive my spelling errors. I assure you I am literate. Unfortunately, I'm also legally blind, and editing my own writing is now beyond my capabilities.
Posted by: Michael A Sofia
Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:53 AM
I have voted for both republicans and democrats over the years and have no close affiliation with either party. I am 63 years old and I am very concerned with the direction of the country. I can never remember being at odds with so many of the president's plans before; there is very little common ground that I share with him. He appears to be paying back all his special interest groups for getting him elected and the public voice is ignored. I am neither a racist or complaining because the democrats did it to Bush, (that was a lame comment) I am just a concerned citizen.
Posted by: jbaugher
Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:30 PM
Ms. Estrich, you seem to have a huge readership among conservatives who disagree with you. I would like to agree with you. Yes, we adults are not doing as we teach our children, which they will call hypocrisy as teenagers, hopefully. I almost went insane from the bickering between my two children until I invented the "I Stop" game. The first child to declare "I stop!" and say not one word more got a reward. Pretty soon, the endless arguments tapered off and practically stopped. The point being, as long as there are real-world rewards for the loudest, longest and meanest screamers, instead of rewarding the reasonable and respectful voices, the incivility will continue and worsen. The screamers and name-callers get all the press. They are permitted to drown out the voices of other citizens. Elected officials listen to and fear them, out of all proportion to their true numbers. It's just like child-rearing. If we give our children what they want when they scream and call us ugly names, you can be sure they will keep doing it. If we tell them, "I'm not listening to anything you say until you speak softly and respectfully," they will learn to do that. It's really quite simple. Citizens or Congressmen or talk show commentators who act like spoiled children need adults to discipline them.
Posted by: Laurie Craw
Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:40 PM
DEMOCRAT 1: May 17, 2006: Murtha Calls our troops MURDERS of women an children (without a trial, of course) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
President: Republican George Bush ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Context: Democrats desperately trying to make Bush look bad by making the war in Iraq look IMORAL and they have no problems in maligning our troops to achieve such a goal. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WASHINGTON - A Pentagon probe into the death of Iraqi civilians last November in the Iraqi city of Haditha will show that U.S. Marines "killed innocent civilians in cold blood," a U.S. lawmaker said Wednesday. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the beginning, Iraqis in the town of Haditha said U.S. Marines deliberately killed 15 unarmed Iraqi civilians, including seven women and three children. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One young Iraqi girl said the Marines killed six members of her family, including her parents. “The Americans came into the room where my father was praying,” she said, “and shot him.” ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Wednesday, Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., said the accounts are true.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:45 AM
Marines recommend no murder charge in Haditha case
Thu Oct 4, 2007 4:39pm EDT
SAN FRANCISCO, Oct 4 (Reuters) - An investigating officer has recommended that no murder charges be brought against U.S. Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Frank Wuterich in connection with a massacre of civilians in the Iraqi town of Haditha in 2005, defense attorney Mark Zaid said on Thursday.
Wuterich had been earlier accused of being the ringleader of troops who killed 24 Iraqi civilians in the November, 2005 incident. "The recommendation was for lesser charges, none of which include murder," Zaid told Reuters in a telephone interview.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:03 AM
By the way, Obama stills continues this "IMMORAL" war in Iraq and Afghanistan but but Democrats are suddenly but not surprising unconcerned since Obama became president.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:07 AM
Democrat 2: Nancy Pelosi : Speaker of the House--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Compares opposition to Obamacare to Nazis and calls such opposition “Astroturf”. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- During her recent visit to a San Francisco hospital, a San Francisco Chronicle reporter asked her whether there is "legitimate grass-roots opposition" to the Democrats' healthcare plan.
"I think they are Astroturf," she responded.
Then she referred to hecklers at a town hall meeting: "They're carrying swastikas and symbols like that to a town meeting on healthcare."
Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:15 AM
Lie # 3: Almost all Democrats - --- Bush stole the election through the Supreme Court. Gore had more votes, and should have won. Bush is an illegitimate president. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Truth: (a) Gore, not Bush, contested the results of the election in Florida, filing a complaint to be settled in the courts, not the ballot box, where George Bush won the vote count. ------------- (b) It was Gore, not Bush, who placed the fate of the election into the courts. Bush had already won Florida. ----------- (c) Two subsequent state-wide recounts, after the election, one by the left wing St. Petersburg Times, proved that George Bush won the popular vote in Florida. ------------------- (d) Under our system of electing our leaders, the popular vote is not the determining factor. Each state gets allotted electoral votes loosely based on state populations. Then whoever wins the popular vote in the state, gets all of the electoral votes.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:29 AM
Lie #4: Almost all Democrats ---- The only reason for Bush going to war with Iraq is to get their oil, and line his own pockets. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Truth: This slanderous Democratic allegation was totally un-American, bordering on treason, and was never backed up by any evidence or supporting facts. It insinuated the President of the United States was a liar and a criminal.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:31 AM
Lie/Slander # 5: October 2006 : John Kerry calls American troops stupid (basically) ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In late October 2006 Senator John Kerry put his foot firmly in his mouth when he made the following comment to students at Pasadena City College: You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Many short sighted people makes this mistake – using person A to spited person B. Such always hurts person A more than Person B – - However, I suspect Democrats know such is true they simply do not care about person A.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:42 AM
Democrat #6 : VAN JONES -- White House environmental adviser -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (a) Number 46 of the petitioners from the so-called “Truther” movement which suggests that people in the administration of President George W. Bush “may indeed have deliberately allowed 9/11 to happen, perhaps as a pretext for war.”; --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------(b) January 2008 speech by Van Jones on “Green Jobs Not Jails — The Third Wave of Environmentalism” - - - “The white polluters and the white environmentalists are essentially steering poison into the people of color communities because they don't have a racial justice frame.”;
Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:22 AM
Democrat #7: The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for over 20 years ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Write says, among many other things: blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."
Democrat #7: The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for the last 20 years
In fact, Obama admitted that Wright has a long history of what even Obama's campaign aides concede is "inflammatory rhetoric," including the assertion that the United States brought on the 9/11 attacks with its own "terrorism." ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So Obama's Pastor of 20 years is a hate filled racists - why does that matter ---- What is a Pastor ? Homer A. Kent writes, “Pastors and teachers are named as one grammatical unit (by use of just one article in the Gk text)” (Ephesians: The Glory of the Church, Chicago: Moody, 1971, p. 72). Pastors (i.e., shepherds), as they care for the flock, are also teachers.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 AM
Democrat #8: Obama “snitch” website -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More than a million people have signed this petition: “I, the undersigned citizen of the United States, petition the U.S. Congress to stop any increased role of the government in my health care decisions. I also petition the U.S. Congress to protect my right to choose my own doctors and hospitals without delay or denial, to obtain care that is patient-centered, and to have health insurance that is personal, portable and best suits my needs.” ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Obama Response: One response - - - - Obama, via the White House web for snitches, asked fellow Democrats to turn in "fishy" citizens. I wonder what he was going to do with such names? The idiot should have simply got his list of "enemies" to take down off the petition - woops I bet he has.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:07 AM
Democrat #9 : Indiana Congressman Baron Hill ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Calls those who oppose Obamacare: “Political terrorists” ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- "They have only one purpose in mind and that's to blow up the meetings that are being held and that serves no one, ladies and gentlemen," said Hill. Hill recently called them political terrorists, a term he avoided in his speech but not in a 24-Hour News 8 interview. "If you just want to blow up a meeting that's a political terrorist," said Hill.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:29 AM
Democrat 10: Maxine Waters ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rep. Maxine Waters: Senators That Oppose Public Option Are "Neanderthals" - - - CNN: The longtime congresswoman, whose district includes much of Los Angeles, also described some senators who are opposed to the health care reform bill as "Neanderthals." --------------- "Not only are we going to do everything we can to organize and put pressure on the senators — some of whom are Neanderthals — we're going to say to the president, 'We want you to use every weapon in your basket in order to get those senators to do what they should be doing,'" Rep. Maxine Waters said.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:39 AM
Democrat 11: Rep. Brian Baird D-Vancouver ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Anti-Obamacare people are "brown shirts" and are a "lynch mob" ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Rep. Baird will not hold public town halls ---- only “telephone town halls” --- during one such conversation - Baird likens town hall patrons as “brown shirts” and compared them to a “lynch mob”; alluding to the Nazi regime. Brian Baird (D) Washington, will hold “Telephone Town Halls” over the August recess so that his constituents that he has compared to Nazi's will not be able to speak with him face to face.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:49 AM
Democrat 12: Dick Durbin (No. 2 Democrat in the Senate) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Durbin – compared our troops to Nazis, Soviet gulags, and Pol Pot ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In remarks on the Senate floor late Tuesday, Durbin, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate To compare treatment by guards at Guantanamo Bay to "concentration camps and Pol Pot's regime” ---- “"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime — Pol Pot or others — that had no concern for human beings," Durbin said.” ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- So who was Pol Pot ? --- Pol Pot became the de facto leader of Cambodia in mid-1975. During his time in power, Pol Pot imposed a version of agrarian collectivization, forcing city dwellers to relocate to the countryside to work in collective farms and forced labor projects, toward a goal of "restarting civilization" in "Year Zero". The combined effects of slave labor, malnutrition, poor medical care, and executions resulted in the deaths of an estimated 1.7 to 2.5 million people, approximately 21% of the Cambodian population.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:03 AM
Democrat 13: Harry Reid (Democrat - Senate Majority Leader) ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Town hall protesters are "evil-mongers," says Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Reid coined the term in a speech to an energy conference in Las Vegas this week and repeated it in an interview with Politics Daily. Such "evil-mongers" are using "lies, innuendo and rumor," to drown out rational debate, Reid said. "It was an original with me," Reid said of the term. "I maybe could have been less descriptive," he said, adding that "I doubt you'll hear it from me again." Nevertheless, Reid worked in the word one more time during the interview. "I feel I haven't done anything to embarrass [my children]," Reid joked. "Except maybe call somebody an evil-monger." -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Harry Reid, the Senate majority leader, was having second thoughts – or was he? – about the way he had characterized people who are disrupting town halls with “lies, innuendo and rumor,” and not letting others speak. They are, he said, “evil-mongers.” A day after tossing out the term “evil-mongers” in the closing speech of his annual clean energy conference, Reid was alternating between pride in his coinage and knowing that he probably should be trying to defuse, not escalate, the turmoil erupting at town meetings across the country on health care reform. “It was an original with me. I maybe could have been less descriptive,” Reid said. He also said, “I doubt that you'll hear it from me again.” But a few minutes later, he couldn't resist a sardonic little joke. “I feel I haven't done anything to embarrass them,” Reid said of his children. “Except maybe call somebody an evil-monger.”
Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:11 AM
Democrat 14: Editors of NewsWeek ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newsweek's September 14 Cover story – “See Baby Discriminate” --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The research is based on 100 white babies and 100 black babies - If you expected Newsweek to include a photo of a black baby with a white baby to illustrate its cover story, you probably waste too much money on lottery tickets.
Newsweek editors apparently concluded from this "research" that 6-month old white babies are born racists. What else explains Newsweek's cover question: "Is Your Baby a Racist?" Can Newsweek explain why the cover doesn't include a photo of a black baby? ------------------------------------------ In light of Barack Obama (predictably) being named Time's Person of the Year, First Read took a look back to see which magazine -- Time or Newsweek -- won the battle of who put Obama on the cover the most in 2008. Drumroll. The winner is... Time. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Time has featured Obama on its cover 14 times since Jan. 1. Newsweek was close behind, featuring the now-president-elect on 12 of its issues. Time has had 52 issues in 2008, so Obama has been featured on more than one-in-four of its covers, or about 27% of the time.

That number, though, goes even higher if you include how many times Obama has appeared in the "skybox" -- 11 times.

That means Obama's face or name has somehow made it onto the cover of Time just about half of the time this year (25 out of 52 issues -- 48%)

Newsweek has had 49 issues this year so far (through Dec. 22), so Obama has been featured on about a quarter of its covers as well.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:28 AM
Democrat 15: Barbara Boxer -- American Democrat politician and the current junior U.S. Senator from the State of California. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Sen. Barbara Boxer is at it again. She has said that citizens showing up at ObamaCare events to protest can't be real because they are "dressed too well" and "too well dressed to be serious." -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This is the same person that has the gall to dress-down a Brigadier General (a black man) by telling him that "ma'am" isn't good enough and that she must be addressed as "Senator," while she lumps all blacks under the umbrella of the NAACP. ----------------------------------------------------------------- But she has found a way to make people purchase her book – make the buy one to protest here - Wednesday night's protesters gathered on the sidewalk outside the Marketplace shopping center where Book Passage is located, and also outside the bookstore's entrance. Attendees of the event were required to purchase the book to get a seat inside, leading to an exchange between Boxer and James Urquhart of Santa Rosa that drew a round of laughter. ------------------------------- "Your book is going in the trash as soon as I get home," Urquhart said. ------------------------"Well, I'm glad you bought it," she retorted. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Ms. Boxer proceed to call such people “brown shirts.” -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- During her tightly controlled book-signing, Boxer was isolated in a protective cocoon by local Danville police and her own security staff. --------------------------------------------- Hastily erected drapes were used to close off Boxer's view of protesters but the outside noise filtered through nonetheless, overwhelming her attempted book discussion. Though adopting a charming pose to her local supporters, she derisively dismissed the protesters, saying they weren't interested in a discussion, that they just wanted to yell. She called the protesters "brown shirts," an obvious miss-use of the term but a staple in current Democrat Party talking points.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:36 AM
Democrat 16: Vanity Fair's Politics & Power blog--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Not surprisingly, the Obama Joker Poster reported by NewsBusters Saturday is already drawing some outrage. According to a television station where the posters have been spotted, "Los Angeles Urban Policy Roundtable President Earl Ofari Hutchinson is calling the depiction, politically mean spirited and dangerous." ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Yet, when Vanity Fair's Politics & Power blog published a somewhat similar visual representation of George W. Bush last July, nobody seemed to complain. In fact, throughout the Bush years, demeaning drawings of the President and Vice President Dick Cheney were quite commonplace.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:55 AM

Plenty more where that came from - I will post more when I have the time.
Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:56 AM
Hi Susan,
I am part of the silent majority who is sick and tired of listening to Liberal lies. Obama wanted to get in the White House to promote his distorted liberal agenda. A lot of naive and clueless people help get him there. Now these same people are finally seeing the light. I was not that excited about McCain but Obama scared me. His associations with unsavory people, his dubious practices convinced me that I should not vote for this man. According to my wife, this is the first time that I have been right.
Congress is outraged about Wilson's emotional outcry, but say nothing about Pelosi calling our CIA heroes "liars". Liberals think nothing of calling all the real American patriots maching in tea party demonstrations all kind of vile names but if you say boo to them, they go crying back to mama Obama. I do not believe in using foul language or putting false labels on people. But if I call someone a name and it is proven to be the truth, is that so bad. This is why I think that most Liberals are liars, cheats and hypocrits, I beleive those statements to be true, so that's OK
Posted by: Bernie Leibman
Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:04 AM
The problem now facing the nation is not civility, It's ideology. The once Democratic Party no longer exists: it's now the Facist/Marxist Party. The once Republican Party is now the old Democratic Party, whcih is attempting to introduce socialism into our Republic. Both Parties want more power over us; one more extreme than the other!
We have lost our compass!
Posted by: Early
Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:51 AM
Susan, your certainly arn't suggesting that President Obama has demonstrated any leadership with respect to the tone of the debate or otherwise even disassociated himself from the likes of those noted above -- are you? He might actually do something useful - dare I say Presidental - if he did - but that would not affect the reaction to his policies - thus, I am not holding my breath. You see, having voted for him (there was no Republican alternative) I have reluctantly come to the belief that he and those around him really do believe those things -- oh, and he said as much about 5 minutes before Mr. Wilson's outburst.
Posted by: Crazylarry
Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:28 AM
Susan, I appreciate your reasoned voice, but I wish you would take off your liberal glasses when you look at Obama. His lack of executive experience is very evident. He has never run anything in his life, and it shows. He has never failed at anything in his life, but he is staring at failure on many fronts and looks like a deer in the headlights. He looks at Europe and likes what he sees. He looks at America, and wants it to look like Europe, and can't understand why everyone else can not see what to him is so self evident. Because he has never run a large staff he fails to address weakness, so the errors continue. Bush had the same problem, but it was because he placed loyalty above performance. Loyalty should be a given, but not a reason to excuse inability . He does not need friends like Jimmy Carter and Van Jones. For a few, race will always be an issue. But his is not 1957, this is 2009, and my America that I spent 13 months of my life and 551 hours of combat flight time defending, is no longer a racist nation. It is a good center right nation that does not want the government to run anything except the military. Bill Clinton learned in his first two years, "It's the economy stupid".and did an excellent job the next four years (it would have been six except for personal isues that overtook his Presidency) He was not an ideology President, he adapted. Obama is an ideology President, and unless he learns to adapt like Clinton did, he will fail.
Posted by: red5mutual
Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:10 PM

Walter Williams
Walter E. WilliamsUpdated 26 Nov 2014
Thomas Sowell
Thomas SowellUpdated 25 Nov 2014
Mona Charen
Mona CharenUpdated 25 Nov 2014

27 May 2009 What's in a Name?

20 Feb 2008 What's in a Word?

20 Nov 2009 What's a Woman To Do About Mammography?