Robert Novak
Robert D. Novak
19 Nov 2008
"Pray for Me"

Interview by Barbara Matusow This article was first published in the November 2008 issue of The … Read More.

7 Nov 2008
Newt in 'One-Two'?

In serious conversations among Republicans since their election debacle Tuesday, what name is mentioned most … Read More.

5 Nov 2008
No Mandate for Obama and No Lopsided Congress

WASHINGTON, D.C. — The national election Tuesday was not only historic for the election of the first African-… Read More.

Avoiding a Lieberman Disaster

Creators Syndicate is pleased to announce that Robert D. Novak will be writing occasional columns. All his groundbreaking election analysis will be available on creators.com. Read it here first.

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Reports of strong support within John McCain's presidential campaign for Independent Democratic Sen. Joseph Lieberman as the Republican candidate for vice president are not a fairy tale. Influential McCain backers, plus McCain himself, would pick the pro-choice liberal from Connecticut if they thought they could get away with it.

But they can't get away with it -- and this has been made clear to McCain by none other than Joe Lieberman himself.

Lieberman surely doesn't know that much about Republican politics, but he has close Republican friends. One of them prevailed on Lieberman to tell McCain that a McCain-Lieberman ticket would be a disaster for all concerned, and especially for the GOP.

Actually, Lieberman is a heroic figure among Republicans for having risked his Senate seat to support President George W. Bush's war policy. But aside from the war, he votes the straight liberal line, including pro-choice on abortion. Lieberman's Republican friend told him that the Republicans would leave Minnesota in a state of disarray with a McCain-Lieberman ticket, alienating social conservatives who now make up the core of Republican voters.

At the heart of the desire for Lieberman as running mate is a basic strategic disagreement between the Bush and McCain high commands.

McCain's top strategists argue that the Bush coalition that won the last two presidential elections is dead and must be replaced by a new one that extends to the left, as Lieberman would.

Bush strategists disagree, asserting that McCain is getting around 90 percent of the old Bush vote and can win the election with a few moderates added in.

The Republican operative who urged Lieberman to dissuade McCain from picking him believes that there is still a very useful role for the maverick Democrat in this campaign: as McCain's secretary of state. While an announcement in St. Paul of Lieberman as vice president would bring groans from the assembled Republicans, placing him at the State Department would evoke a standing ovation.

At this writing, nobody knows McCain's choice. He is keeping the selection process secret, and his closest aides are in the dark. Could he still name Lieberman after being told by Lieberman himself that it is not a good idea? Nobody absolutely rules it out.

Selecting a vice presidential nominee from the opposite party has not fared well, partly because the two most prominent such selections quickly succeeded to a vacant presidency.

In 1864, Republican President Abraham Lincoln picked a pro-Union Democrat, Andrew Johnson, as his running mate. Johnson clashed continuously with the Republican Congress and became the first president to be impeached. In 1840, Whig President William Henry Harrison selected Democrat John Tyler for vice president. Tyler became president upon Harrison's death in 1841. Tyler found himself surrounded by old political enemies in a Whig Cabinet.

Those problems might be less serious for Lieberman should he quickly succeed to the presidency, however. He is on intimate terms with the McCain inner circle, especially Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina.

Still, Republicans assembling in St. Paul have their fingers crossed that McCain will not press his luck by naming Lieberman as his running mate.

To find out more about Robert D. Novak and read his past columns, visit the Creators Syndicate web page at www.creators.com.
COPYRIGHT 2008 CREATORS SYNDICATE, INC.

Comments

Lieberman may be popular among right-wing Republicans, but he is still a turncoat. Ultimately, most people recognize a person who switches sides as, at best, less credible than someone who stuck to their guns and was consistent. Although he called himself an Independent, Lieberman won his re-election in Connecticut with support of traditional Democrats who were not happy with his losing the party nomination to an upstart. Since then, Lieberman's profound Republicanism has been both a surprise and a big disappointment to many of those people who helped re-elect him. He would NOT win re-election today.
No matter what his public or secret party affiliation, Lieberman has been consistent on one thing: he is the Senator for Israel. He has conflated the interests of the U.S. and Israel, a position not shared by most Americans. Progress in the Middle East will entail many things, among them the ability of the U.S. to become a fair-arbiter between Israel and the Palestinians. Lieberman will never support such a position nor will he ever be seen as anything but an acolyte of Israel's right-wing parties.
Posted by: billthinx
Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:52 AM
I disagree. The Republicans are not voting for Obumer. The Republicans are voting Mccann. A Democrat on the ticket will bring the undecided and the independent and the Hillary die hards that do not like Obumer. The white mail anti affirmative action voter will show up to vote Mccann in mass because they see Obumer as an empty suit, they would not do this to General Powell so race is not it. The teeny bopper brains that vote for Hope and Change will turn away from the poles as soon as they see a line more than 13 seconds. For those. reasons: Obumer has very little chance against Mccann/Lieberman
Posted by: Getzel
Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:54 PM
It's really wonderful to see a new Bob Novak column. I have missed reading his regular column the last few weeks. God Bless ya Bob.
As for Lieberman, I admire the guts he had to have to stand against his party on the war. While I admire him personally, most of his political views are 180 degrees from my own. Perhaps McCain thinks I and others like me have no where else to go. Well, he does need us to go....to the polls to vote! And...as an added thought, I could vote for everything but president.
Posted by: Beau
Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:59 PM
I believe McCain would put Lieberman on if he could. That is because he in love with himself and his "maverick" reputation. This is a Pavlovian response. Every time he criticized the Bush administration or made some deal with the Liberals in the Senate he was given a nice juicy steak. Sorry, I meant to say he got invited on Good Morning America and sat in the Green Room with some cooing starlets, got invited to Hollywood parties with cooing starlets and generally was given such rewards as Hollywood and the Liberal News Media has to give. His limited intelligence and unlimited ego blossomed like a weed given a healthy shovel full of b*llsh*t to feed on. Lieberman supports the effort in Iraq, but that's it. He is strongly in favor of abortion on demand, make that on request, higher taxes for all, and would put ultra liberal activists on the courts. Only a moron would make him the veep. But I repeat myself.....
Posted by: moronpolitics
Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:04 PM
Posted by: moronpolitics
Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:05 PM
I don't understand why Chriistie Todd Whitman is not mentioned in the Veep discussions. A popular moderate Repulican in good lock step w/McCain and the ability to attract the female vote. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Mae Whitman....yawn.

A pro-environment, energetic CTW would be a slam dunk for McCain and the Rep's.
Posted by: joegiant
Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:13 PM
I've logged in primarily to say how delighted I am to see
Robert Novak's analysis. Admire and trust him so, and
will look for him here in the months to come.

I sense that Joe Lieberman and John McCain share
a world view and a moral code. I'm sorry so many
feel it's an impossible match in this election, but
I reluctantly agree.
Posted by: Susan
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:20 PM
It's great to see you back, Mr. Novak. And I couldn't agree with you more. Joe Lieberman is an A+ human being in my book. The only reason he left his party is because it left him first. But McCain will be making a grave mistake if he names Lieberman VP. Secretary of State? I'd wholeheartedly approve that.
Posted by: Carla
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:32 PM
How wonderful to see Mr. Novak's column! Voices of reason in this presidential campaigan are few and far between. God bless you, Robert Novak. Keep them coming!
Posted by: Katie Smith
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:37 PM
Lieberman as VP nominee would complete the sell out. If the ticket would win, what happens in four years? I have just come to terms with McCain at the top of the ticket. Primarily because Obama is totally unacceptable and the addition of Biden makes it more so. How can America put up such weak leaders? An arbiter between the Israelies and Palestinians? We have to be real. Once we are reduced in stature the liberals of the world will have their way. This is a disaster waiting to happen.
Posted by: jeff sherman
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:38 PM
Posted by: jeff sherman
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:42 PM
As a devout Conservative who isn't in Love with McCain ...Even though I like Liberman stand on Iraq and really Israel .
He is wrong for our side since on every other Issue he is a true Liberal .
Sec of State or Defense ... that would be fine .
Frankly as a Former ReCon Marine I woould like to see General David Patraeus ...... Talk about a very smart man and a leader .
My guess is Romney if Mc Cain is smart ? Silly me .
Posted by: ReConUSMC
Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:56 PM
Fair Arbiter ? Their devout suicidal Enemies like Iran and Hesbellah wants Israel To be History they say daily .
Israel is less than 5 % of the Middle East and the only Democracy there LEFTY or is it Mohammed ?
Posted by: ReConUSMC
Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:05 PM
Lieberman is a shill for Israel and all Zionists.

He has been McWar's handler for months.

Obama got as far as he did because the "Neocon" - aka Zionist lobby felt he would be get McWar into office.

Posted by: eddie
Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:08 PM
Mr. Novak.

Good to see you in print again. Have missed your insights. Am praying for your recovery. Sure agree with you re. Lieberman.

Posted by: George A. Bratina
Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:11 PM
Isn't this guy in Jail yet? Treason used to be answered with a noose in this country.
Posted by: patriot
Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:27 PM
Thank Heaven for Bob Novak's return! You are simply the best and we are praying for ability to continue providing these invaluable insights for a very long time!
Posted by: Gregg Cunningham
Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:05 PM
WELCOME BACK BOB!
As I told you before: Bob, Don't listen to those doctors. You're gunna make it dude. Hang in there.
Interesting column.
Posted by: DaveC1
Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:37 PM
McCain is already a liberal. How can he possibly need another on his ticket? He needs to pick a serious conservative like D. Hunter to pull his party back onto the right side of things.
Posted by: AL
Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:51 PM
I cannot see Lieberman, but I can see Romney if McCain seriously wants to win. I could never vote for McCain/Lieberman or Obams/Biden but McCain/Romney I could. I hope McCain has enough smarts to see who he should have as VP.
Posted by: RufusVonDufus
Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:54 PM
I hate to say it, but as a life long conservative I may have to vote for a 3rd party candidate if McCain brings Lieberman in as VP. This will be a sine to me that the party is no longer the party of Reagan and Goldwater, but is now a moderate, big government disaster.
Posted by: Walt
Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:49 PM
I'll bet anyone $500 bucks the "Republican friend" of Lieberman is Bill Kristol. At any rate, I'm glad the neo-cons have begun to gain some sense of reality.
Posted by: civediamo
Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:18 PM
Novak lives!
I had a similar diagnosis from three doctors who gave me two years max. I started their "therapy" but dropped out after a few weeks due to feeling like they were killing me. I read "alternative" stuff day and night and used what I thought would work. That was in 1995. I feel fine now.
I won't vote for McCain since I don't vote for Democrats. I live in California where Obama will blow him out anyway so I'm not depriving McCain of anything anyway. Nearly all of my Conservative friends are not going with McCain either. It's a wasted vote here in Cal.
Posted by: joseph blough
Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:29 PM
Of course McCain is a liberal along with his good buddy Joe. You can rest assured civediamo, McCain, also, is close to Kristol, whose father coined the term neo-conservatism. He has other Straussian advisors by his side, as well.

Thanks, America. You're still, as you're told to do by the pretty idiot box with all it's bright colors and moving picture, arguing between Ds and Rs. Why is it SO important to be a good D? Why is it so important to be a good R? When will you start being good Americans? You deserve what you get.

As for me, as it's been said, "give me liberty or give me death!"
Posted by: Crazy_Redneck
Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:38 PM
I had the unfortunate displeasure of spending 6 hours on a flight from Los Angeles to D.C. with the senator. Being a conservative Republican, I was interested in Senator Liebermann's views. All I can say is that I never met in my 60 years a more despicable and arrogant human being. Having seen him now hovering over McCain makes me wonder if he is the "handler" of a Manchurian candidate McCain. Liebermann's views are so diametrically opposed to patriotic Americans with conservative values, that even his association with a GOP administration will put the final nail in the coffin for the party.
Posted by: Werner Hoermann
Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:55 PM
I hope you enjoyed writing this as much as I have reading it. It's great to see you fighting back, Bob.
I may not always agree with your opinions, but I always enjoy reading them.
Hang in there, and God bless you.
Posted by: Grumpy Ol' Guy
Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:56 PM
McCain is in a tough spot. Lieberman is way too liberal. Romney is seen as belonging to a non-Christian cult. How long did Whitman last in the Dubya admin? I still think that Condi Rice is the choice. There isn't a person on Earth who knows more about the Middle East and all it's players. She's black and female, she might still pull a few of the Hillary voters over.
Posted by: poker1610
Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:29 PM
Re: norm depalma

Norm depalma, Novak is dying and this is what you have to say to him? You're a disgrace to your religion. Lay off the guy for God's sake.
Posted by: civediamo
Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:59 PM
"Welcome back Bob." So nice to see you bring out commentary that displays how pathetic the Republican base is. The sad fact for you is that Lieberman is just about your only hope, absent W trying to declare World War III, which many would not put past him, or should I say the puppet master with the overly-developed mouth-to-brain ratio who works the strings. You know who I mean. I think he's over there in Georgia right now trying to figure out how to screw things up more. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I well understand the warts on the face of the Democratic Party. But think about what you clowns stand for. Like trashing the theory of evolution as our educational system crumbles, while the Chinas of the world are stuffing real science down their students' throats. You know what real science is, don't you? That's when an engineer designs a bridge or a bullet train but doesn't pray to God or hold a seance to get the dope on how to do it. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Like trying to make a religion out of saving every blob of cells that qualifies as a potential human life when you couldn't give a flying you know what about the kids born in ghettos each day who weren't smart enough to be born in to a wealthy family. Such birth wisdom is the real welfare--the kind that is blind to anything resembling merit or suffering or anything else we would want to alleviate by making sure that every little blob of cells who succeeds in making it out of the womb has a fair chance in life. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Oh, yes, and then there's the habit the Republicans have of spitting on all the beautiful creatures God has created that don't fit the program of investing in environmental destruction for the sake of making a few more holy bucks. Who the hell are you to tell God what creatures he should have on this Earth? If God put them there, you should be 1000 percent behind keeping them there. End of story. That is, if you really believe in God. Don't see much evidence of that lately. .................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
The fact is, you are toast. How lucky you are that the Democrats believe in things like due process and habeus corpus and not using torture to get sweet revenge.
"Welcome back
Bob." So nice to see you bring out commentary that displays how pathetic the Republican base is. The sad fact for you is that Lieberman is just about your only hope, absent W trying to declare World War III, which many would not put past him, or should I say the puppet master with the overly developed mouth to brain ratio who works the strings. You know who I mean. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
I well understand the warts on the forces of the Democratic Party. But think about what you clowns stand for. Like trashing the theory of evolution as our educational system crumbles, while the Chinas of the world are stuffing real science down their students' throats. You know what real science is, don't you? That's when an engineer designs a bridge or a bullet train but doesn't pray to God or hold a seance to get direction on how to do it. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Like trying to make a religion out of saving every blob of cells that qualifies as a potential human life when you couldn't give a flying you know what about the kids born in ghettos each day who weren't smart enough to be born in to a wealthy family. That's the real welfare--the kind that is blind anything resembling merit or suffering or anything else we would want to alleviate by making sure that every little blob of cells who succeeds in making it out of the womb has a fair chance in life. ...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Oh, yes, and then there's the habit the Republicans have of spitting on all the beautiful creatures God has created that don't fit the program of investing in environmental destruction for the sake of making a few more holy bucks. Who the hell are you to tell God what creatures he should have on this Earth? ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
You are toast. How lucky you are that the Democrats believe in things like due process and habeus corpus and not using torture to get sweet revenge?
Posted by: Masako
Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:31 PM
It's not too late, Senator McCain. I implore you to select Mike Huckabee as your VP as the best choice for America and the Republican Party.
- Huckabee is an actual conservative with a Republican platform (wow!)
- Huckabee drew an incredible amount of support and delegates on a campaign shoestring.
- Huckabee won key states in the primary and would bring in the South to the General Election.
- Huckabee has the support of the youth and women, more than any other potential candidate.
- Huckabee, a Republican, was re-elected in a Democrat-run state and with the support of the black vote - twice, making his the longest serving governor in the nation.
- Huckabee is respected by his peers of both parties.
- Huckabee actually has run a government and a business.
- Huckabee showed calm, leadership, and expediency in the face of Katrina. (He welcomed and tended to storm refugees while the Gov. of New Orleans failed.)
- Huckabee revitalized the highway system, school structure and children's health programs in Arkansas
- Huckabee is consistent in his position regarding the sanctity of life and family values.
- Huckabee is an outstanding public speaker and debater, but needs no prompter to articulately speak his heart and mind to one person at a time.
- Huckabee comes from humble beginnings and knows the everyday plight of the common man.
- Huckabee answers to no special interests.
- Huckabee has visited and spoken with leaders worldwide and would protect our interests abroad.
- Huckabee wants to abolish the IRS and bring about the Fair Tax
- Huckabee wants to protect our borders and ensure a legal means to immigration.
- Huckabee knows the importance of strengthening our work force and keeping jobs thriving in America (what a concept!)
- Huckabee is tireless, will give you a straight answer without any bull.
- Huckabee can easily go toe-to-toe in a debate against Biden (who, by the way, has never won more than one percent of the vote in any presidential election).
- Huckabee has the optimism and sense of humor our country desperately needs.
- Huckabee supporters are loyal. In fact, many people won't vote for John McCain if Huckabee isn't the VP candidate.
- No other Republican candidate has gained the passion of his supporters as Mike Huckabee.
Posted by: StellaCa
Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:36 AM
Not to nitpick, but John Tyler was a Whig when he ran for VP with William Henry Harrison, not a Democrat.
Posted by: logos
TWO GREAT REPUBLICANS
Posted by: Murpy
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:11 AM
Weclome back brother!
Posted by: Daniel
Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:32 AM
Great article. This seals the deal for me personally on who McCain will pick. Looks like Mitt Romney will be his V.P. Thank God he will pick a business man who understands how to run things. We win the election in November. Done deal. Cheers, Rhonda from the Great State of Texas
Posted by: Rhonda Tracey
Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:44 AM
I am not a Republican, I am a conservative and believe that government should get out of our lives and should be 1/10 its current size.

Not only does McCain need to have someone that is pro-choice, they also need to be a strong conservative.

McCain has lost a tremendous number of voters because of his record and the only reason that many are going to vote for him is to keep the Marxist Obama out of the White House.

Obama is not even qualified to be a CEO of a small company much less the largest in the world. The United States is heading into bankruptcy with the out of control spending and the Democrats will only accelerate the problem. Look at how they have destroyed our economy in just two short years. They want to blame Bush but he is not the problem. They want to blame Bush for high gas prices but who is blocking offshore drilling - the Democrats.

The Democrats praise Medicare and what that to be the model of national healthcare but there are billions of dollars wasted on Medicare fraud.

The Democrats refuse to acknowledge that even when seeing live pictures of a new embryo, that life begins at conception. Obama even believes that it is alright to kill an infant that survived an abortion.

If not wanting to vote for a man, regardless of race, because he has no experience and has done nothing in his life is racist than I guess I am. These people have stood before the cameras all week and lied through their teeth. They are trying desparately to hide their agenda because they know that if they were honest with the American people they would be trown out on their behinds.

McCain is one of the last Republicans that I would ever vote for and I still do not understand how he ended up with the nomination but we have no other choice than to vote for him otherwise we get the first Black Stalin. Maybe not as violent, but he is not in power yet so we really do not know. What we do know is that Obama is not honest with the people and that those he is associated with are anti-American and have core Marxist beliefs.
Posted by: rbcintexas
Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:01 AM
4 Senators on the ticket? It would be the complete dumbing down of the Executive. Doesn't 9% approval rating mean anything to these guys?
Wonderful to have Novak back.
Posted by: mary
Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:53 AM
Actually Lieberman could seal a republican victory. Would they lose some bible thumper votes? yes, but then again he is on shaky ground with those groups already. He would however cement himself as a better choice for Democrats that don't want Osama-bin-bama... namely the Hillary fans would flock to him.... in the end he could capture 1/3 of the democratic voters and would still get 2/3rds of the republican's... That would leave Osama-bin-bama with only 2/3rds of the dmocratic voters and no republicans.... The republicans that couldn't voter for Lieberman wouldn't vote for Osama-bin-bama they would just stay home... and there is a good chance they will stay home anyways.... so Lieberman is the best choice to insure victory.... in fact considering John's age, democrats could see it as a chance to put lieberman in the whitehouse since John stands a good chance of dying of old age before his term expires.
Posted by: Yirmin Snipe
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 AM
Well I'm a life long Republican.....But this time if John picks anyone other than Joe L, or Rudy R, I will most definitely pull the lever for the Democrats for the first time in a Presidential election.....My first Vote was Ronald Reagan in 1984....It would be a sad day...But I have not abandoned the Republicans they have deserted us first.....

A purge of the party would be a good thing.....It is just a shell of what it used to be anyway. Maybe the party needs to clean itself of non one issue voters such as I..
pete
Posted by: pete
Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:34 AM
Clearly Novak is still being USED by the right (whatever happened to McCain announcing his VP candidate 3 weeks ago as you reported according to a top McCain advisor????) Rove is clearly the unnamed source trying to persuade Lieberman to withdraw from consideration. By the way, Rove, if you're here...who is running hell?
Posted by: bbx
Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:45 AM
Liebereman for VP or State Dept is a disaster either way. As is McCain, Lindsey Graham, and especially Saxby Chamblis. These guys are always giving up to the libs or trying to sneak lib policies into law. I may just vote for Obama as he may possibly be the more conservative candidate.
Posted by: H Phil
Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:50 AM
Astonishing that you are so happy to have a man who committed treason by publishing the name of a covert CIA agent leaked to him by the White House writing for you.
He should be in jail.
This is the same man who recently ran over a 67 year old pedestrian who was crossing a street in Washington, DC. The pedestrian was in the walk way. Mr. Novak ran him over and left the scene in his sporty car, only to be chased down by a citizen on a bicycle.
He got a ticket for his hit and run and then suddenly developed a brain tumor, an illness that will likely play in his defense of his unbelievable arrogant actions.
Anyone else would have charges of attempted vehicular manslaughter lodged against him.
Posted by: Granny Fite