John Stossel
John Stossel
16 Apr 2014
Earth Daze

"The heavens reek, the waters below are foul ... we are in a crisis of survival." That's how Walter Cronkite … Read More.

9 Apr 2014
Taxing Life Away

It's tax time. I'm too scared to do my taxes. I'm sure I'll get something wrong and my enemies in government … Read More.

2 Apr 2014
Gambling and Government

Did you fill out a March Madness bracket this year? In many states, if you put money in a pool, that's illegal! … Read More.

My State of the Union Address

President Obama fulfilled his constitutional duty and gave his report on the state of the union last night. Here's mine:

We're in deep trouble.

You know why. Our debt has passed $14 trillion, and yet our current spending plans will make that worse. The U.S. debt will reach Greek levels in just 10 years.

But do not despair. If we make reasonable cuts to what government spends, our economy can grow us out of our debt. Cutting doesn't just make economic sense, it is also the moral thing to do. Henry David Thoreau had it right when he "accepted(ed) the motto ... that government is best which governs least."

So what should we get rid of?

We start by closing the Department of Education, which saves $100 billion a year. Education ought to be in the free market. It's insane to take money from states only to launder it through Washington and then return it to states.

Next, we should close the Department of Housing and Urban Development: $41 billion. We had plenty of housing in America before a department was created. Let's get government out of that business.

Then we eliminate the Commerce Department: $9 billion. A government that can't count the votes accurately should not try to negotiate trade. Trade should be free. Free trade creates prosperity. And since trade should be free, we should eliminate all corporate welfare and all subsidies. That means: agriculture subsidies, green energy subsidies, ethanol subsidies and subsidies for public broadcasting. None of these is needed.

I propose selling Amtrak. Taxpayers will save money, and riders will get better service. Why is government in the transportation business? Let's have private companies compete to run the trains.

And we must finally stop one of the biggest assaults on freedom and our pocketbook, the war on drugs. The drug war is really a war on our own people. The ends do not justify the means.

Now the biggest cuts. Republicans propose to cut discretionary nonmilitary spending. Good. But why stop there? That's only 15 percent of our budget. We must cut more. That means cutting Medicare, Social Security and the military.

I know. Medicare and Social Security are popular, but they are unsustainable. We must privatize Social Security and slowly replace Medicare with vouchers.

And that brings me to Obamacare. The only way to cut costs and still have medical innovation is to free the market. So I propose that we repeal Obamacare immediately. Then we must do more: We must repeal all government interference in the medical and insurance industries, including licensing. All that impedes competition.

Now, military spending. Do you recall what candidate Obama said about the war in Iraq?

"I will bring this war to an end in 2009. So don't be confused."

But I am confused. We're two years past 2009, but we still have 48,000 troops in Iraq. We must shrink the military's mission to truly national defense. That means pulling our troops out of Germany, Japan, Italy and dozens of other countries. America cannot and should not try to police the entire world. We can't afford it, and it's not right.

Those cuts will put America on the road to solvency. But that's not enough. We also need economic growth.

Our growth has stalled because millions of pages of regulations make businesses too fearful to invest. Entrepreneurs don't know what the rules — or taxes — will be tomorrow. This discourages hiring.

All destructive laws must go. I again propose the Stossel Rule: For every new law passed, we must repeal two old ones.

We need to progress to an America that cherishes individual freedom. That means a government limited by the Constitution, one that protects our shores and our persons but otherwise stays out of our way. We should take seriously the words of another president, Thomas Jefferson, and embrace "a wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned — this is the sum of good government."

That's my State of the Union address.

John Stossel is host of "Stossel" on the Fox Business Network. He's the author of "Give Me a Break" and of "Myth, Lies, and Downright Stupidity." To find out more about John Stossel, visit his site at <a href="http://www.johnstossel.com" <http://www.johnstossel.com>>johnstossel.com</a>. To read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2011 BY JFS PRODUCTIONS, INC.

DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM

Comments

John Stossel has more common sense than most. Watch out John. The powers that be don't like this. People need to wake up and realize that for all of recorded history oppressive overpowering governments have been the scurge of humanity. The genius of America has been limited government. Power corrupts . Sometimes when it becomes evident its too late. Stalin ,Hitler, Many others. The government is not always your friend.
Posted by: Don Wallace
Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:00 AM
I guess the only problem with the "war on drugs" issue is that when people choose to live the life of an addict.. they in a sense become parasites on society.. how do we deal with that? If we cut off benefits to drug users.. then we have more crime.. if we legalize drugs.. we arguably have more people that might try and become addicted and no longer be able to care for themselves independantly.. not sure what the answer is.

I am 100% for personal responsibility and free will.. but in the case of drugs.. somone else's choice could impact me.

(yeah... the way we do things now isn't working either)
Posted by: qhgirl
Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:58 AM
Right on John. And we also need to implement the Fair Tax.
Posted by: Tom Snyder
Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:59 AM
No, what it means that all government employees take a minimum 20% paycut since most are over payed compared to the private sector. You also need to do away with the fed,we are not allowed to even audit, something wrong.
A must , put back into place the orginal 12 page Glass- Steggal Act and do away with the 2400 page Finanacial Reform Bill that only benefits Wall St. bankers Quit wasting our taxpayer dollars on the to big to fail institutions, let free capital markets run properly, when Henry Paulson bailed out Wall St. and his cronies there were 300-1 against
but no one there are true statesmen any longer, most are to weak to stand up to big government.
Henry Ford stated in 1934 it is well enough that the people of this nation do not understand our banking and monetary system for if they did there would be a reveloution before tomorrow morning.
LOOK OUT WASHINGTON YOU WILL AWAKEN A FEW STRONG AMERICANS WHO WILL FIGHT THIS CORRUPT GOVERNMENT!!!!
Posted by: ROY
Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 PM
Dear Mr Stossel,
Listening to your State of The Union Address< I believe your more along the lines of a Reuplican than a Libertarian.
Let me ask you this, If you get rid of HUD and Housing Programs, How will you make housing affordable for the poor?
Where will you put them? And why is it when ever budget cuts and spending are spoke of, it's always programs for the poor and the elderly get cut acroos the throat? Why is it cutting other govenrment issues never go under the knife. Such as the government paying for government worker's health care when they can afford to pay for their own health care? And giving goevernment workers cars, cell phones, police departments buying more exspensive vechiles like SUV"s, Mini Vnas, ect.... and on the issue of the department of Education.., What do they do with the money that is issued to them to run the schools? why is it that last year some teachers had to either take pay cuts or days off? And why do we as parents have to buy an astronomical amounts of supplies for our children each year. We never had to do this before. And I'm talikng about supplies like tissues, bleach, hand sanitizers. Some scholls even requested paper towles and toilet paper..., what has this country come to when schools can't even supplies themselves with thses basic supplies and asking us to buy them. It's know wonder our schools can't give our children a proper education when they can't even supply themselves. I'd also like to make one more comment. We;re suppose to be a free country. But little buy little our rights aare no so much being taking away but controoled. The schools for instance telling us as parents hwat we can send our kids to school with for lunch. The government now is telling us what kind of light bulbs that we have!!...,to use. There's mercury in those light bulbs how safe are they for us really. And if you break one, oyur supose to call in a professinal to clean it up. What? And we're supose to have freedom of speach but yet we have people telling us we can't Cus. What? I hate this because if someone makes me angery..., I will Cus,.. don't tell me I can't use my right to freedom of speach or how to express it? Although I do agree that Cussing has gotten way out of hand in this country especailly in the movie industry. But I don't belive that someone should be arrested and put in jail for cussing. The police department has much bigger issues to worry anout. For example the country singer Lynn Andern's husband had her arrested for cussing at him and their son happen to be within ear shot,.. she was jailed for three days for that What?!!! My god what was the charge they arrested her for. And I can't belive he ahd her arrested for that. This makes me angry because he cannot tell me he's never used a cuss word of any sort. You hit your finger accidently with the hammer( S__ _ _!!) You say to yourself or maybe something else. Come on. He's never said what the Hell? is going on. Please. Give me a break now we're going to have someone police our words? NO WAY!!! Freedom where is it??? All I have to say is if someone pisses me off watch out!! Don't tell me how to express myself and in what way to use my freedom of speach!!
Posted by: Darlene Ealy
Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 AM
Dear Mr Stossel,
Posted by: Darlene Ealy
Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:24 AM
Dear Mr Stossel,
Posted by: Darlene Ealy
Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:25 AM
John Stossel's State of the Union Address was an oasis in the desert of television offerings. I am way past believing that America can survive, but to have a spokesman like John go public and point out clearly what went wrong feels good anyway. I was a kid in Germany when Hitler came to power and heard the adults argue about Germany's future, intelligent people for the most part, 12 years and 40,000,000 dead people later one could see more clearly who was right in the arguments. Hitler made Europe safe by disarming the population first; (Lead article in the New York Times)
Trying to do this in the US will not be quite so easy, but will be attempted never the less. When the Government bubble bursts in America, not all people will be throwing rocks at army tanks, it will be more bloody than that. Not all Americans
that own guns are collectors, this does worry our socialist leaders. Who will win the contest? The current Alinsky trained government in Washington knows the Salami game that the post war German premier Adenauer exposed, referring to the cold war then in full swing " the Russians cut off one slice at a time, each one too small to start a war over, when the entire salami is gone, there is no need to start a war either." That is How America is being sliced away, what a pity.
Posted by: Li'l Al
Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:26 AM
Where do I sign up? Let's get your presidential campaign on the road. America needs you now more than ever!!!!
Posted by: Mickey Turner