Froma Harrop
Froma Harrop
2 Sep 2014
The 'Spiral of Silence'

With folks yapping all day on social media — Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and the rest — how … Read More.

28 Aug 2014
The Smallness of Being in Economy Class

Americans are in the dumps about their future. What does that have to do with legroom in economy class? Everything. … Read More.

26 Aug 2014
What About That VA Hospital Scandal?

The unofficial end of summer, Labor Day, may serve as a bookend to a scandal that exploded around the … Read More.

Democrats Can Avoid Rout -- It's Up to Them

When the pollster calls and asks whether I think the country is going in the right direction, I will say "no." When she asks if I approve of the job Congress is doing, I will say "no." And when she follows up with a question on President Obama's performance, I will answer: "Sometimes good, sometimes bad. The guy drives me nuts at times."

But when they ask whether I want Republicans to take back Washington, I'll respond: "Are you out of your mind? We're still recovering from their last round of debauchery — their fiscal irresponsibility, servility toward Wall Street, disrespect for science, contempt for the environment."

"Thank you, Ms. Harrop. One more question. Are you registered as a Democrat, Republican or independent?"

To which, I will respond:

"I'm an independent who usually votes for Democrats. I used to help send the occasional Republican to Washington, back when the party seemed to care more for the country than the least-informed member of its so-called 'base.'

"Did you hear Mitch McConnell say the other day that 'there's no evidence whatsoever that the Bush tax cuts actually diminished revenue'? This is our Senate minority leader spewing absolute ignorance! He must be trying to yank more campaign money out of the fat cats. Or he's playing to the yahoos who believe they can have big tax cuts, Medicare, wars and balanced budgets all at the same time.

"But now that Democrats are in power, they're suddenly worried about deficits, which they hope to cure by — give me strength! — permanently cutting taxes even more.

"Republicans ran ruinous deficits when the economy was doing well. Now that the economy is depressed, Washington must spend more than it takes in to get the heartbeat going.

Even conservative economists agree — certainly the honest ..."

"Gotta go," interrupts the poll-taker. CLICK.

Dear reader, I'm a reasonable woman. I don't care much about ideology. My bottom line is what's good for the country. While the country is on a bad path, Republican voodoo is what put us on it. Surely, many voters agree with me.

That's why these predictions of a Democratic rout in November seem so overwrought. Sure, Democrats will lose seats — but do the voters want a return to the crazy years?

The threat of a Republican takeover seems gravest when the Obama administration does stupid things like attack Arizona's tough immigration law. The law may be misguided, but it does reflect real public frustration with a real problem. Does Obama think it wise right now to use this volatile issue for shoring up support among some Latino voters?

Disappointing can't begin to describe Attorney General Eric Holder's explanation for suing Arizona. He said that "diverting federal resources away from dangerous aliens such as terrorism suspects and aliens with criminal records will impact the entire country's safety."

We don't have the resources to go after criminals and enforce our labor laws at the same time? Try again, Holder.

Still, he's better than George W. Bush's first attorney general, John Ashcroft. Shortly after Sept. 11, Ashcroft found the time and resources to go after businesses selling marijuana pipes.

When it comes to confidence levels, Republicans always seem to be taking uppers, and Democrats downers. But the pill that Democrats really need is the one that cures the urge to play identity politics.

What's good for the country should be good for everyone in it. That includes Latinos, blacks, whites from Northern Europe, whites from Southern Europe, Asians, Indians, Polynesians.

One thing that would be good for the country: More meaningful polling questions.

To find out more about Froma Harrop, and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2010 THE PROVIDENCE JOURNAL CO.

DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM

Comments

Keep deluding yourself, as the rest of the Liberal nutjobs are. The cold hard facts, which you lot can never seem to grasp, is with the exception of Clinton, the economy has always been far better with a Republican majority (and even then, under Clinton we had a majority for 6 of his 8 years). It usually boils down to a few simple variables, although I'll admit it is more complicated than just these... Spending - Republicans tend (not always) to want return on investment, ie, less spending on welfare, unemployment, etc and more spending on military and private sector contracts. Democrats want to throw money away all the time with higher welfare (what other way can they dupe the low income brackets into voting for them?), giving massive subsidies to Illegals, and creating larger and larger bureaucracies that suck up money constantly.

Republicans usually are trying to lower taxes. Now, follow this logic train if you can, I know you have a disability being a Liberal... When you lower taxes, particularly for businesses, even by a few percentage points, you put more money at their disposal. Now, if you have an employer with more money, what does a smart employer, ie most employers, do? They sink money into company growth, in turn hiring more workers. Those workers, in turn, add more money to the economy and therefore more money is payed in taxes despite the lower rate. More money made = more money taxed despite the lower rate. Democrats, in particular Liberals, never understand this, and probably never will. All they want is much higher taxes so the government can get its greedy massive hands on it to redistribute the wealth. When was the last time redistribution of wealth worked? Check Europe right now, they've been trying for 60 years. Its failing miserably.

Possibly the most important difference between Demagogues and Republicans is national defense (including immigration). Some Libtards would have us believe that Republicans are warmongers. Now, let me ask you this, would you rather be safe with a powerful military than having to "trust" the jolly chaps from around the world like Chavez, Hussein (before he performed the hemp fandango), Bin Laden, Insert-Random-Muslim? I for one would rather have maximum deterrent to these psychopaths. Also, I kind of like the idea of actually enforcing our federal immigration laws and securing our borders. Libtards don't seem to want to do that, mostly because they feel that they'll get massive votes from the already illegal population and the assholes who came to this country and popped out a baby to get citizenship.

Liberals hate this country, as you so obviously have shown. Go to Iran or N. Korea and live for 10 years then come back and tell us our country is terrible.

Don't get me started on the fact that ObaMao is one of the biggest racists there is. That is for another time. Racism Bomb!! Throw it and run and it'll all be alright!! Weapons of Race Destruction!! Sound familiar? Sounds exactly like ObaMao and his Regime.
Posted by: Charles
Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:49 AM
Are we forgetting the fact that the democrats have been in control for 4 years now? And look how well they have done.
Posted by: Glenn
Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 AM
Where is today's column? I asked my local paper, Lodi News-Sentinel, and they referred me to this site. The article was about still achieving the American Dream. I have not read it and wanted to do so at work and forward it to my son who is probably doing just what this article says. He is in his second and final year of his master's degree and today is the end of the first year. I thought it would be a nice incentive. So, where is today's column?
thanks-Cathy
Posted by: Cathy Weathers
Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:15 AM
You sure miss the real facts. Wasn't a democratic congress that refused spending cuts? Wasn't it Barney Frank who was supposed to oversee Fannie and Freddie? Wasn't it Chris Dodd who was supposed to over see banking? Wasn't the stimulus supposed to created private sector jobs when in fact it was used to keep state and local gvt jobs for a year? How many times were the cencus jobs counted? Come to think of it, those jobs were created the constitution once every ten years so how does your idol take credit for them. Lets take a hard look at how many private sector jobs were created and lost since BHO took office and better still lets go back to when the Dems took over congress. They had control. Who was it that said the war in Irag is lost? I forgot who. You do have Holder almost right, why isn't he sue sueing states that refuse to assist the gvt by blantenly refusing to enforce federal law? Sorry you are far from independent, you are liberal. Afraid to be honest?
Posted by: Flamo
Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:46 AM
IT IS AMAZING HOW ONE MUST TRY TO RATIONALIZE OR LIE TO THEMSELVES TO AVOID ADMITTING THEY ARE WRONG ABOUT THE RADICAL LEFT AND THEIR EFFORT TO CONTROL THE "LITTLE PEOPLE". YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN WILL BE LEFT WITH YOUR SAD AND EMBARRASING LEGACY OF EITHER FANATICISM OR SHEER IGNORANCE AT ENABLING THEIR SOON TO BE LOST FREEDOMS. IT WILL LEAVE YOUR DESCENDANTS WITH FAR LESS FREEDOM AND A MUCH POORER WAY-OF-LIFE.

THANKS SO MUCH MOM/GRANDMA/AUNT,ETC.
Posted by: jim
Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:36 AM
I laughed when I read your article about everything being up to Democrats. Why can't any liberal Democrat (sorry, Independent) admit that Democrats were in control of Congress after 2006? Is it hypocritical or just cowardly? If Democrats wanted to get rid of the "crazy" things going on, they could have done it then. You don't trust Republicans who are now calling for fiscal responsibility. How many times did Democrats cry about fiscal responsibility in the Bush years, then go nuts when they got into power? At least Republicans admit they were wrong. Will anyone on the left EVERY take responsibility instead of blaming Bush? If anyone wants to laugh, when a Democrat starts talking about the economy, get a stopwatch and time how long it takes the person to blame Bush. I have found it is usually less than thirty seconds.
By the way, Ms. Harrop, you say you are an Independent in your article, but this site list you as a Liberal. You should sue.
Posted by: Doug
Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:18 PM
Good article Ms Harrop. You stated it fairly and squarely. As a Republican for many years, I am sadly disappointed the way the party is headed. For the most part, they can not see the forest for the trees. There is a growing income gap in this country that is a danger to our economic system and those who love the country need to recognize this before it is too late.
The radical Democrats are also part of the problem by going too far in their socialistic soultions. This will do no one any good in the long run. Why can we not have a balanced approach to solving the problems facing all of us in this country. I know that deep down inside everyone wants the country to solve the problems but this is only going to occur when reasonable men and women reach a mutual understanding. I did enjoy your article as I think it took a reasonable approach in addressing some of the salient issues before the country.
Stan Kensic
Posted by: Stan K
Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:47 PM
Sat. July 17, 2010

Thank you, Ms. Harrop, for stating my concerns, frustration and the dilemma I feel per Mr. Obama. I really DO want to believe in him, but YES he "does drive me nuts" too at times. I keep hoping he WILL "get it together" and FOCUS on the crises we are facing - and move forward towards solutions. Good article!
Posted by: Shirlee
Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:48 PM
This one is a grand slam, Fromma, but I see the usual conservative hate-mongers have preceeded me with their condemnation of anything that disagrees with their extreme conservative views. I think I know where they get those view: Fox News, Rush, Glenn, etc. You may chalk me up as another of those conspiracy theorist nutcases, but I see a lot of indicators that the extremely wealthy are trying to run the economies of the U.S. and Europe into the ground. Why? My guess is to increase their wealth. Greed is not only never satisfied, but increases as ones wealth increases.
Posted by: Hartley Anderson
Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:03 PM
Liberals (you) are literally retarded if you think the Democrats can handle government better. Your entire piece of writing was filled with inaccuracies and just flat out LIES. There are so many false statements I don't feel like typing all of them, so i'll just point out the big one:

"Republicans doubled the national debt under Bush. Perhaps they'd like to triple it the next time. But now that Democrats are in power, they're suddenly worried about deficits, which they hope to cure by give me strength! permanently cutting taxes even more. Republicans ran ruinous deficits when the economy was doing well. Now that the economy is depressed, Washington must spend more than it takes in to get the heartbeat going."

Just LOOK at the spending deficit numbers of Bush in his first term. 400 billion.
Ok, compare that with his second under a democratic congress. 800ish billion. Pretty bad isn't it?

Now look at Obama's. Yeah, I was surprised when i saw it too. Obama has QUADRUPLED the deficit. Obama has us on the road to a 20 trillion dollar DEFICIT (not just debt) by 2020. 20 trillion. thats unreal!

Conservatives are the only answer to the government, whether democratic or republican. Usually conservatives are republicans, but as we saw during about 3 years of Bush's term, the spending was getting somewhat overdone. (nothing compared to Obama, though). Whether you believe it or not, there are actually more Conservatives in the United States than liberals.

And in the 2010 midterm election you liberals are going to get destroyed, simply put. Your reign of terror on the US House will come to an end. At least 40 seats are going to the republicans, I'll bet 42. The senate will be close to even.
Posted by: Tyler
Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:09 PM
Nail on the head stuff, I'd say. Keep it up!
Posted by: jim walch