Connie Schultz icon
Connie Schultz
9 Apr 2014
Life Elsewhere, One Reader at a Time

A few years ago, a columnist who works for one of the largest newspapers in the country told me over … Read More.

2 Apr 2014
Money Won; Now What?

There's no way we didn't see this coming. This week's 5-4 Supreme Court decision, split along partisan lines, … Read More.

26 Mar 2014
Another Victim of Unemployment: The Family Pet

Starting around 2008, too many calls to Parma Animal Shelter in the Cleveland area began with something like this: "I'… Read More.

Love in the Middle Ages

It was a hard snow, the kind that stings your face on its way to burying everything in sight.

I stood in front of the kitchen window, warm and dry but for my red, swollen eyes. I wrapped my arms around me and held on tightly as I watched him pitch the shovel into the ground, pound it with his foot and dig up another small scoop of frozen soil. His face was knotted in concentration, and his hair grew whiter with each passing minute.

My husband did not know I was watching him. He had no idea I was standing on the other side of that snowstorm thinking, This is what marriage looks like.

I ask your indulgence as I ponder the wonders of marriage on this, the ninth anniversary of my second chance at love.

Agreed: This column runs in newspapers' op-ed sections and in political blogs, where my personal happiness is irrelevant to readers.

Further agreed: Any claim I make to marital bliss only serves to annoy those who disagree with me on just about everything.

Nevertheless, consider: We have more in common, you and I, than we might want to believe, especially when we compare the terrain of our beating hearts. Even those who loathe my every opinion want to believe I'm right when I say we are never too old for love.

No need to admit it. Sometimes a woman just knows when she's pushed the right button.

Man or woman, straight or gay, conservative or liberal, we all need somebody to love and who loves us back. Brad Paisley has it just right when he sings, "Sometimes life ain't all that pretty when you're watching it all alone." No matter how rough the landscape, the view gets better when you have someone standing next to you, shoulder to shoulder, with a grip on your hand and a hold on your heart.

Nine years ago today, I did something I swore would never happen again in my life. I walked down the aisle — this time with a grown child on each arm — and promised before God and 130 guests that I'd love forever the man beaming at me from the altar.

It was a second marriage for both of us.

Ohio law required us to present evidence of our failures to the county clerk before she could give us a license to try again. Humbling reminder, that one. We were longtime single parents who knew all the ways a marriage could go wrong.

We are not gay, so, lucky us, we got to give marriage a try. Again. This injustice is not lost on us. I imagine that my pointing this out means I'm about to lose some of you, but please keep in mind that the majority of Americans think it's time to embrace a wider definition of marriage. May we all live long enough to reap the benefits of a country willing to celebrate so much love.

"Anyone who tells you their rules for a happy marriage doesn't have one," Adam Gopnik wrote recently for BBC News Magazine. I promise that you never will get such a list from me. My only suggestion for those of you in a relationship is to imagine regularly what it would be like if your loved one were gone.

So many times in the nine years of this marriage, one of us has turned to the other and said, "Why couldn't I have met you sooner?" No golden wedding anniversary for us. This single fact reins in arguments and decriminalizes many a human habit. Our only guarantee: Time will run out. Sometimes, we feel a sense of urgency about life's smaller moments. We listen harder.

And that is why, several weeks ago, my husband stood out in that snowstorm and dug a grave for my beloved cat, Winnie, who died at home at the age of 18.

I had wrapped her body in a baby blanket and laid her in a pretty box in the garage, hoping the weather would soon break so that we could bury her in the backyard. It was a bad week for snowstorms, and after the third day, I was inconsolable.

"I feel so guilty," I told Sherrod. "I know it's ridiculous, but it just seems so wrong to leave her out there — all alone, in that box."

He got up from his chair, pulled on his boots and jacket, and headed for the door.

Connie Schultz is a Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist and an essayist for Parade magazine. She is the author of two books, including "...and His Lovely Wife," which chronicled the successful race of her husband, Sherrod Brown, for the U.S. Senate. To find out more about Connie Schultz (con.schultz@yahoo.com) and read her past columns, please visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2013 CREATORS.COM

Comments

What a beautiful piece, Connie. I understood every word that came from your heart, because I, too, married again after swearing I would never do that. When you find that someone special, your heart sings a different song, you see the world a little differently, and every day is a gift. A sincere congrats on your 9th! We recently celebrated 26, but hitting #50 is a long shot. Not impossible, but improbable. Thank you again for your insight.
Posted by: Karen Poltrone
Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:13 PM

Our second marriage also, we have been married 13 years. I am 66 and he is 70 and like both of you we look at each other and ask why this wonderful marriage happened so late in life.
Posted by: kathy jesser
Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:31 PM
A beautiful tribute to your marriage, Connie. Thank you.
Posted by: Susan Branch Smith
Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:39 PM
Great Story, Connie!
Sounds like something Sherrod would do. He is one of the few good guys in Washington. Glad he is my senator.
Kathy Helmbock
Posted by: Kathy Helmbock
Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:02 PM
Connie:
Love how you use the simple burial of a beloved pet to promote your agenda. Not every story now has to promote gay marriage.
Liberals preach tolerance provided the other person agrees with them. If not then that person who doesn't agree is subject to ridicule and derision. You continue that practice. Some of us believe that the Bible has spoken on the matter of homosexuality and because we don't follow current public opinion we are considered intolerant by people like you. God's word does not change based on public opinion.
I'd be impressed with Sherrod if he buried the cat the same day that it died regardless of the weather, not three days later.
Posted by: Rick King
Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:03 PM
What a beautiful piece -- each of you, separately, and now together. Hooray for your salute to a country where there is so much love, where there is a cry for such love to be validated, and where the validation process is now formally underway albeit in fits and starts.

First things first. Love is the foundation. So much of the rest is the flotsam and jetsam acquired along the way, the barnacles of living. Where the foundation is sound and the head and hearts are true the joy abounds. There is a piece from Scripture that speaks to "Joy Comes in the Morning" after a long and fitful night. May your newly-found Morning remain with you always. It doesn't get any better.
Posted by: Mary Critikos
Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:25 AM
Sigh...(Tear slowly dripping down my cheek)Happy Anniversary, Connie and Sherrod. I'm glad you two found each other. That you found each other when you did is why it's so good....I look at pix of my husband with his friends and first wife years before we met and I KNOW I never could have gone out with him, much less married him back then! Now....it's 33 years later...I hope you get here one day...
Posted by: Julie Horn
Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:07 PM
Re: Rick King
As far as I know, the Bible does not specifically mention homosexuality. All the passages that people say condemn it are interpreted as condemnations. First of all, all of these passages are also translations from ancient languages whose vocabularies have changed greatly over the centuries and some of the versions of the Bible are translations of translations. Second, most of the people citing the Bible to condemn homosexuality cite the King James Version. This was translated because King James wanted a version of the Bible made available to the people to support his view of the divine rights of kings. Given that he was one of the most promiscuous gays in England at the time, why would he have allowed any passages to be included that condemned homosexuality?

In other words, Mr. King, you--along with everyone else except a few scholars in this day and age--have no idea WHAT the Bible originally said about anything. As with any other work of literature (and I admit the KJV has some of the most beautiful passages in the English language), the Bible's meaning is open to almost any literate person's interpretation.
Posted by: KMD
Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:28 AM

Connie Schultz
Apr. `14
Authorís Podcast
Marc DionUpdated 21 Apr 2014
Deb Saunders
Debra J. SaundersUpdated 20 Apr 2014
Steve Chapman
Steve ChapmanUpdated 20 Apr 2014

9 Mar 2011 We Can Be Sisters to Mothers We've Never Met

15 Apr 2009 'I'm 47, and That's Just One Side of Me'

16 Jan 2013 Platitudes Won't Stop the Guns