Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris
26 Aug 2014
Obama, the Islamic State and Christian Crucifixions (Part 2)

Last week, I built a case for how the Islamic State's monstrous brutalities include the summary killing of men,… Read More.

19 Aug 2014
Obama, the Islamic State and Christian Crucifixions (Part 1)

Pundits and news agencies have questioned the validity of reports that the Islamic State is beheading … Read More.

12 Aug 2014
How Obama's Leadership Cripples America (Part 2)

In 2008, Americans appointed a president they expected to unify the country, lift the oppressed and restore America'… Read More.

Oprah's Weight and Obama's Food-o-rama

According to a new USA Today/Gallup Poll, Obama is the man Americans admire most. And that fixation has focused recently upon his fitness, which some say even contributed to his victory in the election.

Those who doubt Obama's pro-organic positions are referred to an array of nutritional news stories, blogs, photos and video streams of him eating, golfing, playing basketball, working out at the gym, etc. This past week, one of the largest Internet searches was sneaking a peak of the hearty and shirtless president-elect on the beach at his $9 million Hawaiian holiday getaway. There's even a Website committed to every possible link between food, drinks and Obama, Obamafoodorama.blogspot.com, including Barack's favorite trail mix and his beer of choice, the "audacity of hops."

While many admire Obama's physique and others commend his athletic ability, critics are busy lambasting some of his present actions as not what he pitched on the campaign trail. They say proof is in his personal consumption practices, which include periodic binges of fast and fatty foods and nicotine fixes. Further political evidence is found in his choice for agriculture secretary, former Iowa Gov. Tom Vilsack, whom many frown upon for his support for big agribusiness, genetically modified crops and ethanol subsidies.

To be honest, I'm not sure if Obama is fit enough to be America's next nutritional guru, but I would remind him (especially as a relatively young president) that his health disciplines can help shape our country's youth like few others in the past, especially in a processed and fast food nation, in which there are more food additives than grains of sand at the beach, not to mention that obesity now affects one-third of all youth.

Here's something else of which I am quite certain: that we should not be a tenth as fixated upon Obama's nutritional plan (or even Oprah's fluctuating weight) as we should be on our own. Whether Obama sneaks a few puffs or Oprah splurges on bagels and cream cheese, we should be more self-reflective than judgmental and examine our own eating and exercise habits, and not just those our culture admires. In an age where organic foods are making mainstream news, gaining an upper hand on dinner tables and restaurant menus, we all need to fight to be fit and provide better models of well-being, instead of waiting for another "government bailout" in the form of universal health care to rescue us from our declining health.

I truly believe that the remedy to our health care crisis begins with Americans, not governmental intervention and more bureaucracy that mandates socialized medicine. Our Founders agreed. They never could have imagined a government micromanaging civilian diets by creating a Food and Drug Administration or U.S.

Department of Agriculture. Thomas Jefferson once quipped, "Was the government to prescribe to us our medicine and diet, our bodies would be in such keeping as our souls are now." Our Founders' health care system was a very simple one: take care of your health.

We don't need to pay hundreds of billions of dollars through new taxes to provide universal medical coverage. If anything, I believe the government needs to discover more ways to motivate personal responsibility and disease prevention, encourage the states' role as stages for new market-based ideas, support county and community health collaborations, and challenge the private sector to seek creative ways to bring down medical costs.

Most of all, if we took better care of ourselves, we could reduce our personal and national medical costs, and live longer and happier at the same time. That is also exactly why I've endorsed the Total Gym for over 30 years and devoted an entire chapter in my new book "Black Belt Patriotism" to "Be fit for the fight," which contains for the first time my personal diet and workout plan as well as 50 years of fitness knowledge that can help you overcome the obstacles to being a better you in 2009.

A short time back, a friend sent me one of those Chuck Norris Facts that circulate the Internet. It read, "Chuck Norris can eat just one Lay's potato chip." Whoever wrote that fact has not seen me when I am watching a football game at home. I can tear the bag open during the first quarter and ask myself by halftime, "What's this empty bag doing in my hand (while licking the salt from my fingertips)?" I won't even tell you how quick a bowl of ice cream can disappear in the second half!

I'm a believer in new beginnings. That is why I'm an advocate of New Year's resolutions. Now, before tuning me out about fresh starts, hear me out. The potential to fail is always present. But so is the potential to succeed and soar to the next level. And studies show that our successes actually happen more often than we think.

A University of Washington survey conducted a number of years ago showed that 63 percent of the people questioned were still keeping their No. 1 resolution after two months. That's great and hope-filled news.

Whether you want to exercise more, lose weight, stop smoking, cut down on alcohol, make a new spiritual commitment or make new friends, don't ever quit striving to better yourself each and every year.

Or, as Benjamin Franklin put it, "Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man." If you do, I believe you too will find the power and discipline to eat just one Lay's potato chip! Of course, except during football games!

(Note: In December, Chuck is giving away a free chapter of his current New York Times best-seller, "Black Belt Patriotism." To obtain yours, go to www.ChuckNorrisOffer.com.)

To find out more about Chuck Norris and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2008 CHUCK NORRIS

DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS SYNDICATE INC.

??

??

??

??

Comments

Happy New Year Chuck Norris! Let's hope Obama stays healthy, so he can cut thru the chase going on in Politics, cut the social and welfare programs, cut politicians' salaries to $12,000.00 with no retirements, and for America's sake 'DON'T SPEND MONEY (THAT'S WE DON'T HAVE) ON INFRASTRUCTURES UNTIL FURNITURE AND TEXILE MANUFACTURING JOBS ARE RETURNED TO AMERICA!" If this doesn't happen, our children have not future, do they?
Since a little humor is needed, thought you might enjoy following:

Taxpayers are fed up with all the trillions of their hard-earned money being thrown to the wind! The
following is a humorous way to describe what's happened in government and the downfall of America
that's been created by the‘Tax and Spenders' just so they can get re-elected! I'm quoting:

“I bought a bird feeder. I hung it on my back porch. I filled it with seed. I admired the beauty of
this bird feeder, as I filled it lovingly with seed. Within a week, hundreds of birds were
taking advantage of the continuous flow of free and easily accessible food.

But then the birds started building nests in the boards of the patio, above the table, and next to the
barbecue. Then came the poop. It was everywhere: on the patio tile, the chairs, the table, even on
gutters and window seals!

Then some of the birds turned mean. They would dive bomb and try to peck me even though I had
fed them out of my own pocket.

And others birds were boisterous and loud. The sat on the feeder and squawked and screamed
all hours of the day and night and demanded that I fill the bird feeder when it got low on food.

After a while, I couldn't even sit on my own back porch. So I took down the bird feeder and in three
days the birds were gone. I cleaned up their mess. I took down the many nests they had built all over
the patio.

Soon, the back yard was like it used to be ... quiet, serene and no one demanding their “rights to a free
meal!”

Now let's see .... Our government gives out free food, subsidizes housing for illegitimates, having more
illegitimates, free medical care, free education and allows anyone born to be an automatic citizen.

Then the illegals come by the tens of thousands. Suddenly taxes are tripled just to pay for free services;
small apartments are housing 5 families with illegitimates; Taxpayers have to wait 6 hours to be seen
by an emergency room doctor; your child's 2nd grade class is behind other schools because over half
the class doesn't speak English.

Check you cereal boxes. They now come in a bilingual box. I have to 'press one' to hear my bank talk
to me in English. People waving flags other than 'Old Glory' are squawking and screaming in the
streets, demanding more rights and free liberties.

Taxpayers' opinion, it's time for government to take down the bird feeder.

Posted by: Shirley deLong
Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:17 PM
Shirley, you make an excellent point. You have in fact well described the situation in the UK. The incomers are part of the agenda to destroy both our nations. On your side of the pond, I can't see Barack and Billary changing the status quo, unfortunately. US citizens are going to have to mobilise to take down the bird feeder, as we are having to over here. You'll have to do it yourselves, because I doubt if you'll get much help from either federal or local government, or the mainstream media. We don't get any such help over here.
Posted by: Alan O'Reilly
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 PM
Sir,....You know: if the sky was falling, and you were the one man alive who could hold it up, I'll bet you would let it go to pick up a penny... Let me see if I can express that thought in English... For God's sake, find a real cause to hate and oppose Mr. Obama... Get off the trivial... Consider what the Muslims say: that only Allah is perfect... Don't look for perfection in others, and don't expect perfection from yourself... Good enough is good enough, and one of the reasons Mr. Obama has the job is that too many of your fine freinds were not good enough.... . Thanks...Sweeney
Posted by: James A, Sweeney
Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:41 PM
So long as the Pharmacuticals has power over the Medical Colleges, Insurance Companies, Hospitals and etc. I don't think health cost are coming down. Doctors seem to think you aren't healthy unless you are taking a pill the more the better. It sure would be nice to have meds that really healed so you didn't have to take a pill for the rest of your life. Don't take the pill the symtom is back. Take it long enough and guess what a side efect causes you to have to have some more pills. What a racket! Don't get me wrong. I take meds too. No more than I have to though. After the test came back showing I didn't need a pill they have even wanted me to take it anyway so it wouldn't happen. I'm beginning to think the pills are much of the cause of all these diseases. It seems they only want to keep us healthy enough to keep breathing to buy their pills. Not really healed theres no money in that.
Posted by: Lola Mathuews
Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:16 PM
I read that collection of so-called "Chuck Norris Facts", and frankly most should be flushed down the toilet. My for-good-clean-fun contribution is: If you had been one of the original Twelve Apostles, you could have evangelized the entire planet in just one generation! Love your column, Brother.
Posted by: Jan Snowball
Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:36 PM
I read that collection of so-called "Chuck Norris Facts", and frankly most of those should be flushed down the toilet. My for-good-clean-fun contribution: If Chuck Norris had been one of the Twelve Apostles, he would have evangelized the entire planet in just one generation! Love your column, Brother.
Posted by: Jan Snowball
Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:53 PM
Your article is timely for both sides of the pond, Chuck. Here in the Northeast of England, 37% of children are said to be obese, according to the UK Department of Health. This is the highest figure for the nation, the lowest being 26% in nearby Yorkshire and Humberside, i.e. still pretty severe. (I wouldn't have thought that a third or even a quarter of all youngsters in our town are obese but it is a fairly well-to-do professional area and such problems tend to be less in these environments.) However, nationally, it appears that 24% of English adults i.e. a quarter, are obese and all told, 62% are overweight. (It is a recent phenomenon. 1960s UK film footage of street scenes crowded with people doesn't show many overweight folks.) Estimated excessive weight related health costs in the UK were the equivalent of $US6,000,000,000 for 2007 and are projected to rise to $US9,000,000,000 for 2015, unless preventative action is taken. It is therefore interesting to consider an anecdote from the reign of King Louis XIV in France, in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. A physician visiting Versailles noted how fit and well the courtiers were. He asked one of them about their dietary habits. The courtier said that they followed two simple rules. "We only eat when we sense hunger. And we only eat to satisfy hunger, never to excess." The physician was aghast. He begged the courtier not to let this disclosure become public. "Otherwise, Monsieur, we physicians would lose half our patients!" Even taking into account the complicating factor of modern fast foods with poor nutritional value, I think that story has relevance today.
Posted by: Alan O'Reilly
Sun Jan 4, 2009 10:48 AM
Dear Alan O'Reilly, thanks for reminding me and other Taxpayers that nothing's going to change until 'WE THE PEOPLE' make it change and it's certainly not going to change by electing more politicians in local, state. or federal governments. Look at the corrupt state he's from! This should raise eyebrows, shouldn't it, I'm sure Obama knows that critical changes are needed, as he has two children, and, like most of us, we all have families that we're concerned about their futures and, once again, Taxpayers should take another look at his recent several million dollar Hawaii vacation and all the protection Taxpayers paid for, plus the gas guzzlers they all drove around the islands!
Even if Obama puts into law, immediately, 'FAIR TAX' to include property taxes, so everyone would have to pay their fair share, cuts politicians' salaries to $12,000.00 yearly, for their month of service and bad decisions, and as he stated and I quote "go over every line in the budget and cut down to pennies", stops social and welfare programs, I'm sure the 'game of politics' will go on as usual! Let's say Obama cuts all the salaries, freebies, social and welfare programs, America's budget still won't balance until year 2050, if then!
Therefore, if 'CHANGE' was what Obama wanted shouldn't he have started with his own backyard? I'm afraid the only 'CHANGE' Taxpayers are going to see is $.02 from their hard-earned dollar!
Posted by: Shirley deLong
Sun Jan 4, 2009 2:08 PM
You're welcome, Shirley. I think that the actual birth of your nation as such had in part to do with unfair taxation. I trust that 21st century Americans who love their country can draw some inspiration from those events and that some real national leaders will emerge. In that context, it may be useful to study why the famous battle of Bunker Hill was called that, when the action was actually fought on neighbouring Breed's Hill. Even yet, America (likewise England) is not without this potential Ally.
Posted by: Alan O'Reilly
Sun Jan 4, 2009 4:29 PM

Chuck Norris
Aug. `14
Walter Williams
Walter E. WilliamsUpdated 3 Sep 2014
Froma Harrop
Froma HarropUpdated 2 Sep 2014
Marc DionUpdated 1 Sep 2014

13 Mar 2012 Obama's Covert Plan To Raise Gas Prices

10 Jun 2008 Congress, Get Off Your Gas, and Drill!

9 Oct 2012 True Patriots