Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris
18 Nov 2014
Neutering Religious Holidays

Folks, our country is heading down a slippery slope. We have to stop it before it is too late. We haven't … Read More.

11 Nov 2014
My Veterans Day Test

With Veterans Day being Nov. 11, patriots everywhere feel a sense of pride as we again honor all who have … Read More.

4 Nov 2014
8 Founders Advise How to Vote

Vice President Joe Biden was exactly right when he said as he campaigned in Iowa on Oct. 27, "Folks, this … Read More.

Is Obama Afraid of the J-Word?

According to a new national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, 11 percent of Americans still believe President Barack Obama is a Muslim. Seven percent of Democrats believe it. And nearly 20 percent of evangelicals do.

What I find fascinating is that the same study shows only 55 percent of Democrats know or believe Obama is a Christian, even after Obama spent nearly two years on the presidential campaign trail spouting his views and beliefs on everything under the sun.

Moreover, about 1 in 3 people don't have any idea what his religious convictions are. Should the percentages be that high? Religion might be a private choice, but should it be a secret one, too, even for leaders?

While those stats say something about Obama's neutrality and respect for representing our nation's religious melting pot, they also say something about the politically correct climate across our land, in which people are afraid to stand up for their convictions so as not to be branded as intolerant or bigots. We have become a nation that fears opinion. Even Holy Week, once celebrated in the corridors of the Capitol, is now a clandestine commemoration full of holy hesitations.

America's Founders built this nation upon religious freedom. They valued denominational pluralism. They were unified in their diversity. They all believed in a Creator. And they were almost all vocal about their Christian beliefs. They certainly weren't ashamed. And neither should we be, especially during this week.

I believe in God, just as our Founders did. As Benjamin Franklin noted in his 1787 pamphlet for those in Europe thinking of relocating to America: "To this may be truly added, that serious religion, under its various denominations, is not only tolerated but respected and practiced. Atheism is unknown there."

I also believe in the First Amendment, which reads: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." The American Civil Liberties Union and like-minded groups are not preserving First Amendment rights; they are perverting the meaning of the Establishment Clause (which was to prevent the creation of a national church, such as the Church of England) to deny the Free Exercise Clause (which preserves our right to worship as we want, privately and publicly). Both clauses were intended to safeguard religious liberty, not to circumscribe its practice. The Framers were seeking to guarantee a freedom of religion, not a freedom from religion.

I agree with John Jay — the first chief justice of the United States, appointed by George Washington — who wrote to Jedidiah Morse Feb. 28, 1797 (the same year the Treaty of Tripoli was ratified): "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers. And it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers." I believe that we should not fear religious diversity, but we never should forget we were born a Christian nation.

Under Article VI, Section 3 of the new Constitution, denominational tests for public office were prohibited, but the idea that Judeo-Christian ideas and practices must be kept separate from government would have struck our Founders as ridiculous because the very basis for the Founders' ideas were rights that were endowed upon all of us by our Creator.

Many may not realize there was an active clergyman (Presbyterian minister John Witherspoon) among the signers of the Declaration of Independence.

And two others had been ministers previously. Others were sons of clergymen. Virtually all were Protestants.

Even signers of the Constitution included Abraham Baldwin, a minister. Others had studied religion but never were ordained. And again, most signers of the Constitution were also Protestants. Two, Charles Carroll and Thomas Fitzsimons, were Roman Catholics.

I, too, respect all religions but adhere to one. I believe what Benjamin Rush — a signer of the Declaration of Independence and a member of the presidential administrations of Adams, Jefferson and Madison — wrote: "Such is my veneration for every religion that reveals the attributes of the Deity, or a future state of rewards and punishments, that I had rather see the opinions of Confucius or Mohammed inculcated upon our youth, than see them grow up wholly devoid of a system of religious principles. But the religion I mean to recommend in this place is that of the New Testament."

Like George Washington, I don't believe we can maintain morality and civility apart from a religious foundation: "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. … Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."

Mostly, I believe in the collection of beliefs stated so poetically in the Apostles' Creed: "I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ His only Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary; suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and buried; he descended to the grave: the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from where he will come to judge the quick and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit; the holy Christian church; the fellowship of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and eternal life. Amen."

No Holy Week hesitations here. His name is Jesus, and I believe he was born into this world to die for the sins of mankind, that whosoever believes in him shall have eternal life — just as I chose to do decades ago at a Billy Graham crusade in Los Angeles.

Is Obama afraid of the word "Jesus"? I'm not, and maybe that's where my heart and mind should dwell during this period, in which 1 billion people around the world are commemorating his Via Dolorosa. Rather than asking what we believe about Obama's religion, maybe we should be answering what we believe about ours.

Whatever your religious persuasion, don't be ashamed of it. And don't hesitate to let others know where you stand, but do so with respect. This is America. And that's one of the things that still make us a great nation. In God we trust.

To find out more about Chuck Norris and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at www.creators.com.

COPYRIGHT 2009 CHUCK NORRIS

DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS SYNDICATE INC.

Comments

Sir;....Sure, this country is religious...Christianity gets a by...Judaism too, in recognition that protestantism is a branch of Judaism...But the real religion of this land is not practiced in a church or a temple, or any other place designated as religious... Our religion is capitalism, and to that god capital we bend our backs and bend our knees...How many have been harrassed to death or thrown in the penitentery because they denied to capital the place it deserves as our ascendent diety... That is our holy sprit: the spirit of free enterprise... And most wonderful of all, we can put the hocus pokus of our old religions behind us... No matter how hard we may have searched for our old God, we could never define It... But we can define capital... We can put capital in our pockets, and go to the poor house or the bank as our hearts incline us... And if we should reach for that capital, and try to sense beyond its mighty presence we find ourselves...I have a little capital in my pocket right now, and I can keep it to myself or share it with the world, but it is still me, all me, all about me...What would the world look like if I could convert it into dollars??? What If I could put my name on everything, like a Ford or a Rockefeller???What if I could put a price tag on everything worth having, and if it is too great to own, like fresh water, or fresh air, or sunshine, what if I could dump garbage into them to the point where to have them, they must be bought, and in small quantities???The world is full of me, me, me and endless possibility so long as I have capital me, in my pocket....You can push your puny Jesus to the store and back on wheels... You and Jesus can show your empty pockets, and then be asked to leave... But if you have money all the world is sunny, at least as sunny as the sun can be... So bow your head and bend your knees and pray as loudly as you please... No one will mind, and no one will listen because they know that capital glistens... Surrender all your old gods, and stick to the gold god, the true god Capital of America, if the world you would seize....Who cares what you call it, or the days that you serve it because Jesus serves capital just as we... To capital we give five days and to the old Gods, give two...But we will not have all, till all is what we give; our complete devotion, and all our emotion to our national notion of a God above all...So get behind me with your Christian nonsense...Layoff day for kind Gods is come..It is predestined, you know, that the rich wil grow richer while the poor will just grow. We have the god that drives people to work, grows wealth out of the tiny drops of sweat, makes wars, and lays waste the world, corrupts the saintly and sanctifies the sinners... I dare your Jesus or Allah to defy Capital, or do so many miracles... They will submit, or they will be destroyed...To this I bear witness.... Thanks...Sweeney
Posted by: James A, Sweeney
Wed Apr 8, 2009 9:50 AM
Thank you Chuck - Happy Easter!
Posted by: VK
Thu Apr 9, 2009 4:39 AM
You couldn't be further offbase. First Benjamin Franklin, although deeply religous vigerously fought for seperation of church and state and deeply defended one's right to believe or not. Several others at the constitution convention including Read from South Carolina were athiets, as well as homosexuals, of which there were three. Read your History!!!!
As far as Obama, he truly embraces the best ideas of Christianity. He doesn't have to announce it HE LIVES IT!! AS A TRUE BELIEVER DOES!!! What better way to improve humanity.
Yor arrogance is truly apalling, and THANK YOU JESUS it's just ones person opinion. YOU ARE WRONG and should be ashamed of writing such an op-ed!
Posted by: Russ Kissell
Thu Apr 9, 2009 3:55 PM
I read Chuck's article and found it very interesting. And he is right, it shouldn't matter what Obama's religous convictions are, the fact that he believes is all that matters. True Christians stand true to God and Jesus, while most of the world curse them for every bad thing that happens in their lives. They say they don't believe in God, yet he is the first one they curse when something bad happens. What is that all about?

And then there are the "James A. Sweeneys" of the world. Those who think money can give them what they need. How unfortunate they do not know someone such as me. I am one of the poorest people in America and yet, I am one of the happiest! I have all I need in my Lord and Savior and there is no amount of money that can give me the contentment and satisfaction that I receive from my belief in Him and God's Words as written in the Holy Bible. Real happiness is something that comes from an inner peace, not from things that can be purchased with money. Things fall apart and are put aside, so a claim that things and money make a person happy is a claim made by one who does not know true happiness. I wonder how quickly that person tires of the things he purchases and looses that happiness they origanally brought him?

I am a free person and I do not sweat to make the richer person richer. I do what I do with no thought for the rich. I simply thank God that not everyone who has money feels as Mr. Sweeney does. I also wish to state, that a true Christian does not give only two days each week to God, we give him every day, 24/7. The most precious things in life cannot be put in anyone's pocket. Love is one of the most powerful things in anyone's life, even more powerful than gold, yet it cannot be put into a pocket. Contentment, happiness, satisfaction, joy, hope and love are all things one needs to survive, yet none of these things can be put into a pocket. These are feelings which give us reason to survive and continue on our quest.

I am very glad that I know one day Jesus will return and I shall live forever with him and my friends and loved ones.

Posted by: Karen Grippin
Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:09 AM
Thank you for the overview, Chuck. I suspect that Obama aims to counterfeit St Paul by aspiring to be "all things to all men" 1 Corinthians 9:22, to keep up his popularity, which will translate into votes in the future. If your president really does eschew the 'J' word, for reasons of popularity, pc-ness or both, then both he and everyone like him need to reflect carefully on the words of the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. "For whosoever shall be ashamed of me and of my words, of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he shall come in his own glory, and in his Father's, and of the holy angels" Luke 9:26, KJB.
Posted by: Alan O'Reilly
Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:55 AM
Wake up Call for Chuck-

#5 comment is pure bullshit and kike lies that needs deleted. WTF did you come up with this bs blog Chuck?

Obongo is a muslim marxist, born in Kenya, and a full blown JEW PUPPET--NOTHING ELSE.

HAVE YOU FIGURED IT OUT YET CHUCK? EVERY SINGLE ADVISOR, CABINET POSITION, AGENCY HEAD, ETC, ETC IS FILLED BY JEWS PICKED FOR THE PUPPET TO APPOINT DUAL ISRAHELL CITIZEN/MOSSAD AGENT RAHM EMMANUEL. AS FOR BEN FRANKLIN, GEORGE WASHINGTON, THOMAS JEFFERSON, AND OTHERS, LET'S LOOK FOR OURSELVES AT THEIR OWN WRITTEN WORDS AND IGNORE THE MISINFORMED OR LYING COMMENTORS' BS, LIKE THE JEW SWEENEY WROTE. WHAT THE HELL ARE ALL THESE JEWS AND DUAL ISRAHELLI CITIZENS DOING IN OUR GOVERNMENT CHUCK? HERE'S WHAT FRANKLIN AND WASHINGTON SAID IN THEIR OWN WORDS DAMN IT!:

"They (the Jews) work more effectively against us than the enemy's armies. They are a hundred times more dangerous to our liberties and the great cause we are engaged in. It is much to be lamented that each state, long ago, has not hunted them down as pests to society and the greatest enemies we have to the happiness of America."
Source: Maxims of George Washington by A.A. Appleton & Co.

As the American colonies rose in revolt against political oppression occasioned by the attempt of Jewish banking houses in Europe to consolidate their economic foothold in the New World, no man among the Founding Fathers was more alert to the designs of international Jewry than that shrewd elder statesman of the American Revolution, Benjamin Franklin. Perhaps Ben Franklin's most damning indictment of Jewry was contained in his famous prophecy at the Constitutional Convention of 1787 in Philadelphia. In one of the most anti-Jewish utterances of all time, he declared:
"I fully agree with General Washington, that we must protect this young nation from an insidious influence and impenetration. That menace, gentlemen, is the Jews. In whatever country Jews have settled in any great number, they have lowered its moral tone; depreciated its commercial integrity; have segregated themselves and have not been assimilated; have sneered at and tried to undermine the Christian religion upon which that nation was founded by objecting to its restrictions; have built up a state within a state; and when opposed have tried to strangle that country to death financially, as in the case of Spain and Portugal.
"For over 1700 hundred years, the Jews have been bewailing their sad fate in that they have been exiled from their homeland, as they call Palestine. But, gentlemen, did the world give it to them in fee simple, they would at once find some reason for not returning. Why? Because they are vampires, and vampires do not live on vampires. They cannot live only amongst themselves. They must subsist on Christians and other people not of their race. If you do not exclude them from these United States in the Constitution, in less than 200 years they will have swarmed here in such great numbers that they will dominate and devour the land, and change our form of government, for which we Americans have shed our blood, given our lives, our substance, and jeopardized our liberty.
"If you do not exclude them, in less than 200 years our descendants will be working in the fields to furnish them substance, while they will be in the counting houses rubbing their hands. I warn you, gentlemen, if you do not exclude the Jews for all time, your children will curse you in your graves. Jews, gentlemen, are Asiatics, let them be born where they will or how many generations they are away from Asia, they will never be otherwise. Their ideas do not conform to an American's, and will not even though they live among us ten generations. A leopard cannot change its spots. Jews are Asiatics, are a menace to this country if permitted entrance, and should be excluded by this Constitutional Convention."
Franklin's remarks were recorded in "Chit Chat Around the Table During Intermissions," a section of the Diary of Charles Cotesworth Pinckney of South Carolina. Pickney (1746-1825) attended the Convention as a delegate, and took down excerpts of some of the outstanding addresses and discourses, which he later published in his diary. Perhaps the best proof of the Franklin prophecy—as with any prophecy—lies in its actual fulfillment. What Benjamin Franklin foresaw as an ominous possibility in 1787 has today—a little over two hundred years later—become painful reality.

-Bob
Posted by: biggs3
Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 AM
I have never liked Chuck Norris. He is a huge bore when it comes to politics.

I am now a Chuck Norris fan. Not because of anything Mr Norris wrote though. I am a now a fan because he has left Bob's comment (#6) on his website for almost a year. Mr Norris' years in Hollywood have probably shown him first hand the truth in Bob's statement.

Good for you Chuck Norris.
Posted by: Scott Mollett
Fri Jun 4, 2010 9:03 AM
Oops, I guess I mean good for Creators.com. Saw the picture of Chuck and assumed.
Posted by: Scott Mollett
Fri Jun 4, 2010 9:06 AM

Chuck Norris
Nov. `14
Walter Williams
Walter E. WilliamsUpdated 26 Nov 2014
Froma Harrop
Froma HarropUpdated 25 Nov 2014
Newspaper ContributorsUpdated 24 Nov 2014

12 Feb 2008 Did Conan, Colbert or Stewart Create Huckabee?

23 Sep 2014 Even Libs Say No to Hillary in 2016

10 Jul 2012 Obama: Anti-Founders Debt-Accumulating Spendthrift (Part 1 of 2)