creators home lifestyle web
tom margenau


Full Retirement Age Q: You continually refer to people getting full benefits at age 66. But you should know that for lots of readers of your column, our full retirement age is greater than age 66. For example, I will have to be 66 and 6 months to get my full benefits. …Read more. Avoiding Taxes Has Consequences Nobody likes paying taxes, including Social Security self-employment taxes. And some people will go to great lengths to avoid paying them. But that can have consequences. This week's emails brought several examples. I had one email exchange with a …Read more. Benefits for Divorcees My wife is starting to get suspicious. Every day, my inbox is crammed with emails from strange women around the country! I don't mean strange as in unusual, but rather as in unfamiliar to me. A good percentage of these women are asking about …Read more. Half and Half Q: I've noticed that when you are talking about reductions in Social Security benefits for early retirement, you always say the reduction will be about one-half percent. Why do you say "about?" Is it one half percent? Or is it something else? A: It …Read more.
more articles

Power of Attorney is Powerless with Social Security


Q: I have been granted "power of attorney" to handle my brother's affairs. But when I went to my local Social Security office to take care of some of his Social Security business, they wouldn't help me. I asked to speak to a supervisor, and she said she couldn't help me either. Why won't the Social Security Administration recognize my power of attorney status?

A: Social Security law says you can represent your brother and take care of his Social Security business only if a doctor or some other medical professional will sign a statement indicating that he is mentally incapable of handling his own Social Security affairs. The Social Security Administration will appoint you to be what they call his "representative payee" — if you complete an application form with them and get the signed statement from a doctor.

They do not recognize "power of attorney" because the rules for that designation are much more lenient and don't necessarily involve the concept of mental incapability. For example, when my mom was still alive, she was living with my sister. And because my mom had some fairly severe physical complications (she was pretty much confined to my sister's home), my sister was granted "power of attorney" status, so she could do things like sign checks for my mom, pay her bills and handle her banking. But mentally, my mother was just fine. So, she still took care of her Social Security matters and other legal affairs.

In your case, it may very well be that your brother is mentally incapable of taking care of his Social Security business. But the power of attorney designation you have doesn't prove that. You should file that representative payee application at your local Social Security office.

Q: I am 70 years old. I was getting my own Social Security retirement benefit — about $1,400 per month. Then a few months ago, my husband died and I started getting widow's benefits that equal his rate, which is $2,000 per month. I am still working. In the past, I got a small increase in my retirement benefit each year because of my extra earnings.

Now that I'm getting widow's benefits, will I keep getting those increases for my earnings?

A: This is going to be one of those wishy-washy "yes and no" answers.

Yes, your own Social Security benefit will increase every year. But no, you won't see that increase in your monthly Social Security payments. Here's why:

You said that since your husband died, you've been receiving widow's benefits of $2,000 per month. But on Social Security's books, what you're actually getting is your own $1,400 retirement benefit and a widow's supplement of $600 to take you up to your husband's Social Security rate.

As you keep working and adding money to your Social Security record, those extra earnings will continue to bump up your own Social Security benefit — to the tune of maybe an extra $20 per month added to your checks for each year you keep working. So, let's say your own retirement benefit goes up to $1,420 next year. Well, then your widow's supplement will go down to $580, since your total benefits must still add up to the $2,000 per month level.

So, if you are working just to increase your Social Security benefit, you should quit your job tomorrow. But if you're working because you enjoy what you're doing and you like the money you're making, then — as they say — "you go girl!"

Q: I am 62 and still making $70,000 per year. I don't think I'm eligible for Social Security because I make too much money. But I want to lock in my Social Security benefit amount. How should I do this?

A: You really don't "lock in" your Social Security amount — at least not in the conventional sense of the term. And for the life of me, I can't figure out why you are even considering this. As long as you keep working, your eventual Social Security benefit rate has only one way to go — and that's up. In other words, as you keep adding earnings to your Social Security account, especially at the level of income you said you're making, your benefit amount will just keep ratcheting upward. I'm guessing that each year you keep working, you're adding an extra $20 to $40 per month to your Social Security benefit. So, just put that concept of "locking in" your Social Security benefit out of your mind.

If you have a Social Security question, Tom Margenau has the answer. Contact him at To find out more about Tom Margenau and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at



4 Comments | Post Comment
My sister started collecting Social Security at age 62. She did not work for several years while she was raising her children and does not have 35 years of paying into Social Security. She is working now. Will her Social Security benefits increase?
Comment: #1
Posted by: Carolyn
Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:06 PM
My brother American citizen passed away , his wife never been in America, she has four kids,
She want to give me power of Attoreny to get her social security, I am American , how can I do that?
Comment: #2
Posted by: Omer samed
Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:41 AM
I got my x wife for my power of Attorney because Itrust her and she pays my bills out of my check and It is a SSI check now as march the first my check must be deposited in a debit card account question Her name Is different from mine now can we have different accounts neither have checking or any type of assets she also recieves part ssi and part regular again can we have account in my name and one in hers
Comment: #3
Posted by: David TURNER
Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:00 PM
How long does it take for a change of payee process to b changed to a person who is now capable of handling her own finances? This person went to her local social security office on September 2, 2014 & she gets paid on October 3, 2014.
Would her social security check for October go to her or her previous payee?
Comment: #4
Posted by: Heidi Kobulnicky
Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:43 PM
Already have an account? Log in.
New Account  
Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Your Password:
Confirm Your Password:

Please allow a few minutes for your comment to be posted.

Enter the numbers to the right: comments policy
Tom Margenau
Jul. `15
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
About the author About the author
Write the author Write the author
Printer friendly format Printer friendly format
Email to friend Email to friend
View by Month