creators home lifestyle web
carrie pomerantz


Couples and Credit Scores: Is It a Match? Dear Readers: Imagine this scenario: Over a wonderful dinner, you and your sweetheart have discussed the future, what you each want out of life, your dream house, the possibility of a family, and everything seems to be pointing to your happiness. …Read more. Do Asset Allocation and Diversification Still Work? Dear Readers, Here we go again. Just when we thought we could put the worries of 2008 and its aftermath behind us, market volatility once again has individual investors spooked and wondering what to do. While every investor knows that risk comes …Read more. Should You Refinance Your Mortgage? Dear Carrie: I'm thinking of refinancing my mortgage since I know interest rates are going up. Does it still make sense or have I missed the boat? — A Reader Dear Reader: Rising short-term interest rates are on a lot of people's minds these …Read more. What's the Best Way to Choose a Guardian for Your Kids? Dear Carrie: My husband and I can't come to an agreement on whom to appoint as a guardian for our three young children. He says his brother, I say my sister. How can we reach an agreement? — A Reader Dear Reader: Although my kids are now …Read more.
more articles

I Didn't File Last Year's Taxes. Now What?


Dear Carrie: Last year, I was all set to file my tax return, but when I saw how much I owed, I balked and didn't do it. Now I'm scared. Can I still file this year's return? What should I do about last year? — A Reader

Dear Reader: I'm glad you're asking this question — and not a moment too soon. While you don't have to be afraid of the IRS, you definitely need to take action right away. Not filing your tax return is a very costly choice.

There are penalties for both failure to file and failure to pay. The penalty for failure to file is 5 percent per month (or partial month) up to a maximum of 25 percent of what you owe. The failure-to-pay penalty is a less burdensome 0.5 percent of your unpaid balance per month or partial month up to 25 percent. (This is included in the failure-to-file penalty for the first five months if you're paying them concurrently. However, if your return is more than 60 days late, the penalty will not be less than $135 or 100 percent of the balance due, whichever is less.) And on top of these penalties, the government charges interest on your unpaid taxes.

So, let's say your unpaid tax bill is $3,000. Twelve months later, you owe a failure to file penalty of $750 (25 percent). Plus, you owe the 0.5 percent failure to pay penalty on seven months (the first five months were included in the $750) for another $105. Then, let's say you're paying 4 percent a year in interest. That adds another $120. You've increased your tax burden considerably — and it will keep going up until you do something.

And that's not all. If you don't respond to the IRS's attempt to collect your taxes, it can file a lien against you, which is a legal claim to your current and future property for the amount of the unpaid taxes. Plus, this lien goes on your credit report significant black mark.

Fortunately, there are steps you can take to minimize the damage.


Gather all your tax documents for the previous year. You say you were ready to file, but you were stopped by how much you owed. Well, take another look. Did you take all the deductions and exemptions due to you to lower your taxable income?

Or might you be eligible for a credit, such as the new American opportunity credit or the earned income tax credit?

If the tax due is still more than you can handle, file your past due return anyway and pay as much as you can.

Then contact the IRS to see what arrangements you can make to pay your bill. Contrary to many people's beliefs, the IRS does want to help you resolve your issues and has trained staff on hand to discuss your situation and offer solutions. You can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040.


Filing your past due return doesn't let you off the hook for the current year. Even if you owe back taxes, you're still responsible for paying this year's taxes on time. If this only seems to add insult to injury, you do have some options — as long as you file your return. The IRS offers a few different payment plans depending on your circumstances, including:

— An agreement to pay in full within 60 or 120 days.

— Monthly payments through an installment agreement.

— Temporary delay or significant hardship consideration.

The most important thing is to file on time and pay what you can. Even if you can't pay the entire tax bill, you'll avoid the hefty failure to file penalty. Then working with the IRS, you may be able to lessen or avoid the failure to pay penalty altogether.


If you're behind the eight ball in getting your current taxes ready, you can request a six-month extension. But what many people don't realize is that an extension only allows you to file your return late. You're still required to pay your taxes by the April deadline. So, gather your documents and put together your best estimate of current taxes due.

Then include your payment with Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. You must get this form in the mail by the due date for filing (April 18th for your 2010 return) to avoid the failure-to-file penalty.


If your situation is complicated, you may want to talk to a tax professional to get things sorted out. But as I said, the IRS is ready and willing to help anyone who makes a good faith effort to file their taxes. The IRS offers free assistance online, by phone or in person. Plus, new changes to the lien system make it easier for people with tax debt to clear their record.

Go to or call 1-800-829-1040 for more details — the sooner the better.

Carrie Schwab-Pomerantz, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER (tm) is president of the Charles Schwab Foundation and author of "It Pays to Talk." You can e-mail Carrie at This column is no substitute for an individualized recommendation, tax or personalized investment advice. To find out more about Carrie Schwab-Pomerantz and read features by other Creators Syndicate writers and cartoonists, visit the Creators Syndicate website at



6 Comments | Post Comment
My husband didnt file last year but shouldve recieved money and not had to pay in so he was going file it and this year together but he cant find his 2011 w-2...can we go ahead and file 2012 and file 2011 when we get a new copy and how bad will the penalies be
Comment: #1
Posted by: Jennifer Horn
Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:28 PM
I didn't file my taxes last year at all because i was underway on deployment. I'm in the Navy. I'm going to file my taxes this year. what are all the steps that I take file my taxes from last year with this year? I was told that I have to file out some form but I have no clue in what to do.
Comment: #2
Posted by: emmanuel helom
Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:40 PM
My husband finally told me he did not file for 2012 was wondering will the irs keep his 2013? Hw much interest has he made?
Comment: #3
Posted by: Tenesha
Sun Apr 6, 2014 5:11 PM
I need a copy of 2015 tax return i
Comment: #4
Posted by: Jaime Esposito
Sun Feb 7, 2016 10:23 PM
Need a copy of 2014 tax return as well as 2013
Comment: #5
Posted by: Jaime Esposito
Sun Feb 7, 2016 10:27 PM
Need tax returns for 2013 2014 2015
Comment: #6
Posted by: Jaime Esposito
Sun Feb 7, 2016 10:29 PM
Already have an account? Log in.
New Account  
Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Your Password:
Confirm Your Password:

Please allow a few minutes for your comment to be posted.

Enter the numbers to the right: comments policy
Carrie Schwab-Pomerantz
Feb. `16
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
31 1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 1 2 3 4 5
About the author About the author
Write the author Write the author
Printer friendly format Printer friendly format
Email to friend Email to friend
View by Month