creators home lifestyle web
Mary Hunt icon


Feedback on Tuft & Needle is All Good Dear Mary: You recently had an interesting discussion on mattresses that mentioned the Tuft & Needle mattress. Did you get any further feedback/information on how your reader liked the product? Have you gotten one? We are interested in hearing your …Read more. My Five Favorite TV Shows I used to watch a lot of television. I'd have it on all the time, rarely watching a full show but just flipping from one channel to another, worried I might be missing something. Then we pulled the plug on cable TV, and I gave up that habit cold …Read more. The Scoop on Free Ice Cream Is there anything better than ice cream on a hot summer day? Well, yes there is — FREE ice cream! And I've got the scoop on where you can get free goodies like ice cream on your birthday and other times, too. Most of these stores and …Read more. Carpeted Stairs Challenge and Old Furniture Rescue Dear Mary: I am going to have to buy a new vacuum cleaner soon and wanted to know your thoughts on the new Shark Navigator with the lift off container. — Wanda Dear Wanda: Oh, my, you could not make a better choice than a Shark Navigator …Read more.
more articles

Will Stay-at-Home Mom Be Eligible for Social Security?


Dear Mary: I'm a stay-at-home mom and haven't had a paycheck since I was a teenager. Will I be eligible for Social Security benefits? — Emily, Oregon

Dear Emily: If you are married, you will be eligible. Your Social Security retirement benefits are tied to your husband's. You can file when he does, provided you're at least 62 at that time. Your monthly check will be equal to 50 percent of his, if he waits until "full retirement age" to begin collecting benefits (65, 66 or 67 depending on the year he was born). If he opts to begin drawing early at 62, then your benefit will be reduced to 37.5 percent of his monthly check. (If you're now single, divorced or widowed, the amounts vary.) We're not talking a lot of money here under the very best of circumstances, so plan on it as a supplement, not enough to live on.

To get help, go to the Social Security Administration website,, and check out the FAQs. This site is remarkably user-friendly.

Dear Mary: If my parents die with a lot of debt, will I be responsible for paying it? — Jeb, email

Dear Jeb: You will not be responsible for their debts, unless you cosigned for a loan with them or you are a joint account holder on their credit card accounts. Your parents' debts will be paid out of their estate (everything they own, including real estate).

Anyone they owe has to get in line to be paid, with secured creditors like their mortgage lender in first position. Then come their unsecured creditors, like credit card companies. Once all their debts are paid from their assets, anything that remains is divided up amongst their heirs.

If your parents die with few to no assets, their creditors eat the loss. They cannot come after you.

Dear Mary: I'm recently divorced. My husband handled the finances; now I'm on my own. Where do I start? — Betty, email

Dear Betty: You need a budget. This just means "pre-spending" your money on paper first, before you deposit your check.

Make two lists: Income and Expenses. Under Income, list the sources (paycheck, child support, alimony, savings, settlements, etc.) and the amounts.

Under Expenses, list all of your bills and obligations, starting with your rent or mortgage payment, food, car payment, utilities, clothes, etc.

Add up each list, then subtract your expenses from your income. If your expenses are more than your income, start crossing out things that are optional. Carefully weigh the expenses you believe are essential. Cable TV isn't essential. Food is vital, of course, but try shopping at discount markets, rather than going out to restaurants. You need a car, but not a gas-guzzler with big payments.

Once your expenses and income are in line with each other, use your budget as your monthly financial road map. Consult it often, and you'll find yourself in control of your money, instead of the other way around. To get help, type "budget worksheet" into an Internet search engine, and you'll find many free forms and Excel spreadsheets to develop a spending plan.

Mary invites questions at, or c/o Everyday Cheapskate, P.O. Box 2099, Cypress, CA 90630. This column will answer questions of general interest, but letters cannot be answered individually. Mary Hunt is the founder of, a personal finance member website and the author of "7 Money Rules for Life," released in 2012. To find out more about Mary and read her past columns, please visit the Creators Syndicate Web page at



5 Comments | Post Comment
LW1 - the columnist's answer is only partly right. If you have little in the way of resources, even if you didn't pay a penny into social security yourself, you will receive a monthly check when you "retire." My aunt is 62. She receives around $700 a month... it's called an "old age" pension, but is paid through social security. It's not much to live on but it does pay her rent for her very tiny home, and most of the costs of groceries. Don't lose sleep over it, but do learn to budget.
Comment: #1
Posted by: Nowhereman
Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:40 PM
(And I meant to add, my aunt earned far too little during her life to have paid anything into social security.... her SS stipend would have been something like $200 a month! But supplemental social security made up the difference.
Comment: #2
Posted by: Nowhereman
Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:42 PM
If your aunt collect SSI, she is disabled, right? They don't hand out SSI to everyone. The columnist is correct about regular Social Security.
Comment: #3
Posted by: Patty Bear
Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:38 PM
Re: Patty Bear

Actually you are confusing SSI, which is for indigent folks who did not pay any or paid very little into social security during their working life and SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) which requires a verifiable disability.
Comment: #4
Posted by: Paula
Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 PM
OK, now I am confused. If people did not pay or paid little into Social Security, they can still collect it? I thought that if they did not pay into it, they would then apply for welfare or something. And if they paid little, they would collect little, which is my situation, since all the jobs I had did not pay into Social Security. And I know that some mentally handicapped children collect SSI. Is SSDI for people who worked, but became too disabled to work? I never heard of an "old age pension" being given to people who had not paid into it, unless they had a spouse who paid into it. Maybe that is his aunt's case, since she just gets $700/month.
Comment: #5
Posted by: Patty Bear
Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:23 PM
Already have an account? Log in.
New Account  
Your Name:
Your E-mail:
Your Password:
Confirm Your Password:

Please allow a few minutes for your comment to be posted.

Enter the numbers to the right: comments policy
Mary Hunt
Jul. `15
Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
28 29 30 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31 1
About the author About the author
Write the author Write the author
Printer friendly format Printer friendly format
Email to friend Email to friend
View by Month